Question about back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Well I need to bring my MacBook in to have a problem with the screen fixed again. Since it seems like a hardware problem, the store replaced my hard drive last time I brought it in. I want to avoid all my data being lost, and I want to do it without paying $85 for the store to do it.

Is there any app that can help me back up my files (music, photos, and SETTINGS). if not I'll just be manually transferring files on to the PC and I guess I'll have to redo all my settings

M

MacHeadCase

If you want to backup to an external hard drive, I would highly recommend SuperDuper! I use it and it's very good, you can schedule in backups or manually do them and it's quite efficient. It will clone and make a bootable backup of your hard drive.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
thanks, is there anyway I can connect my PC as an external HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Apple said:
What to Back Up

You don't need to back up everything on your hard drive, such as system stuff and applications, but do remember to back up anything that cannot be easily replaced, such as the following:

Any files you create within an application, such as your resume, movie projects, reports, slideshows, recorded songs, brochures, your prize-winning fruitcake recipe, and whatnot.

Your email account files, including mailboxes, contacts, and account settings. The file locations will vary, depending on the application you use. If you're using Mail, back up the Mail folder in the Library folder inside your Home folder (~/Library/Mail). For other email clients, check the Documents folder in your Home folder for a folder named after your application, or elsewhere.

Your web browser bookmarks. If you're using Safari, back up the Bookmarks.plist file in the Safari folder in the Library folder inside your Home folder (~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist).

Your fonts. You don't need to back up any of the fonts that are installed with Mac OS X—just copy the fonts that you brought into the system. Be sure to look in both of these Fonts folder locations:
/Library/Fonts
~/Library/Fonts

Your iTunes Music folder in your Home folder (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music). If you have the original CDs, you needn't back up those albums or songs (unless you don't want to rip the files again), but you should back up any songs and albums you buy from the iTunes Store.

Your photos. If you're using iPhoto, back up your iPhoto Library folder (~/Pictures/iPhoto Library). If you've got image files scattered around your hard drive, use Spotlight to search for .jpg, .tif, and other image file formats.

Software that you purchased from the Internet. Yes, we did say not to back up applications, but in this case, you will need to if the application was not installed from a tangible form of media. If possible, back up the installer instead of the application itself.

Your contacts. If you use Address Book, back up the AddressBook folder in your Home folder (~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook). If you're using an email client with a built-in contact manager, be sure that you locate and back up the appropriate file.

Bank records and other financial information.

Don't forget stuff on your Desktop (this area can easily be overlooked).
If you share your Mac with other users, don't forget to log in to their accounts (or have them do it) and back up their files (you can't back up files from another user account while logged in to your own account).

What Not to Back Up

You don't need to back up applications or any files that can be reinstalled from your Software Install disc (Mac OS X system stuff and Apple applications included with your computer). If you ever need to restore or reinstall software on your computer, it's better to install them from the original installer—not a backup copy.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/help/9/

Reaction score
thanks, is there anyway I can connect my PC as an external HDD?

Not as an external hard drive, but if both machines are on the same Ethernet network, you can turn on File Sharing on the PC and attach to a shared folder on the PC as a network volume, and backup to that.

www.macwindows.com has instructions.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Not as an external hard drive, but if both machines are on the same Ethernet network, you can turn on File Sharing on the PC and attach to a shared folder on the PC as a network volume, and backup to that.

www.macwindows.com has instructions.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.