• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Steve Jobs taking leave of absence

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
He is not a healthy man it's true. And I'm sure he's taking the time off when he's not needed too much. I'd rather him take the time off and be healthy. WOnder if the investors will see the same. Cause if steve coughs the share price goes down.

Reaction score
DSteve Jobs,Medical leave

history tells me this is not good...keep your fingers crossed!

sorry can someone fix title?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Merged duplicate threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I can't help but think his schedule for the past year has no doubt been exhaustive the man
is always thinking of whats next and hope for a speedy recovery.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As much as I hope that Steve recovers quickly, I don't think this bodes well. Particularly so shortly after his last leave.

Cancer (in general) is tricky, and seldom do survivors walk away without ever encountering problems down the road. As much as I respect his right to privacy, and as much as I think his being at the helm is positive for Apple, he is definitely doing the investor community a disservice by maintaining the role of CEO.

If he believes in Tim Cook as much as he says he does, I think he should take an advisory role (much like Bill Gates did in later years) and step down as the CEO. This latest leave will surely mean a roller coaster ride for the stock, and speculation will be rampant. If Steve truly values his privacy, I think it's time for him to transition away from the CEO role.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If Steve truly values his privacy, I think it's time for him to transition away from the CEO role.
As much as I don't want this, maybe it's time. Steve should still make his presence felt at meetings but just less than now. And let all the senior VP's do the work. And yeah the shares would tank when that happens. But if it's a slow enough transition the share loss would be minimised a lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As much as I don't want this, maybe it's time. Steve should still make his presence felt at meetings but just less than now. And let all the senior VP's do the work. And yeah the shares would tank when that happens. But if it's a slow enough transition the share loss would be minimised a lot.

Yeah, the problem is the stock is going to be unstable as long as investors aren't confident in management or the succession strategy. So, rather than taking a series of hits and the stock fluctuating wildly each time - just get it over with. Steve steps down but goes into an advisory role, naming his successor as Tim Cook. This way, he can go on leave whenever he wants to and doesn't owe anyone an explanation - and then there's no change in the leadership and nothing for investors to fret over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If steve leaves now, the stock will plummet! Losing the worlds best CEO has that effect. I would rather have him as CEO right now than bring someone who might not be ready. If I were the CEO of Apple, I would hold on the the CEO position until stocks exceeded $400, so that they can have a nice split, then I would pass the torch. To me, it seems like Jobs has been training Cook real well for that day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Godspeed Steve . . . Hope all gets better for ya mate ....

On this announcement, i cant really see anything like "the beatles are here" happening anytime soon. But then again if your sick your sick and you need to go......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
If steve leaves now, the stock will plummet! Losing the worlds best CEO has that effect. I would rather have him as CEO right now than bring someone who might not be ready. If I were the CEO of Apple, I would hold on the the CEO position until stocks exceeded $400, so that they can have a nice split, then I would pass the torch. To me, it seems like Jobs has been training Cook real well for that day.

I've been curious about this, myself. We don't know how sick Jobs is, so I hate to say it's time to "hang up his boots." But if he hasn't already, perhaps it's time that he's started grooming a successor, preparing to pass the torch, or should the unthinkable happen, allow for it to be thrust upon an heir.

I'm particularly curious, if/when Jobs is no longer CEO, how the company would be handled. Would they still innovate the way they do now, or would they move to a model of sacrificing innovation and reliability for a higher market share and profit margin.

Reaction score
Forgetting about stocks and the future of Apple personally, as a fellow human I just hope he gets well soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I agree with the assessment that Jobs should pass the torch on to Cook, and should do it right now while taking an advisory role. This would enable Jobs to supervise Cook in the background while he's still healthy enough to keep enough focus on what he thinks is going right or wrong. The more he allows Cook to stay at the helm, the better things will be if Steve ultimately gives up the reigns at a later date due to whatever circumstances happen to arise.

This also gives investors and the board ample time to make whatever decisions they need to make without causing a panic.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bad bad news as the form of cancer, pancreatic, he suffered from is particularly lethal!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Let's hope Steve feels better soon. Let's also hope Apple doesn't go the way of another "tech industry" great, Hughes Aircraft Company.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think the uncertainty in the command chain will be worse for Apple than just biting the bullet now and at least giving the appearance of a clear succession. Sure, they'll take a hit initially, but it's going to be a roller coaster ride if this steady stream of absences continues. This second leave is just going to exacerbate that uncertainty and continue to spur rumors and gossip about his health.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been curious about this, myself. We don't know how sick Jobs is, so I hate to say it's time to "hang up his boots." But if he hasn't already, perhaps it's time that he's started grooming a successor, preparing to pass the torch, or should the unthinkable happen, allow for it to be thrust upon an heir.

How sick is he? You can bet anyone who has undergone a liver transplant to fight off Cancer and continues to take drugs to combat rejection of the new liver, probably stays sick. This new bout of weight loss is not a good sign and may mean that Cancer has spread to other parts of his body.

Weight loss like that might be the result of Chemo therapy. (My guess.)

I agree with cw107, it's probably time for Steve to relinquish the helm of Apple to Tim Cook. It may be a tough thing for someone like Steve to do but if he wants the company he founded to continue in its success, that's what he will eventually be forced to do.

Reaction score
Seeing some of the comments people make on sites like CNN in the comments under the story, really break my heart. Love or hate Apple, Steve's contributed a HUGE amount to our society. The products people love today, often have been influenced or DIRECTLY copied from Apple's work. I'll never understand how people can joke about things like this, or see him as some sort of object to joke about. Perhaps it's because I lost my grandfather to a very painful and hard battle with cancer, but it makes me feel terrible to see some of the things people say.

Of course I wish for Apple to continue making the advances and amazing toys we all love, but I hope the guy that's given us all so much, gets well soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Jealousy is a curse. Bill Gates cops much the same from Apple folk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.