Can StarWars:TOR work on my fully rigged Macbook with VMFusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard
I have been watching all the gameplay videos of The Old republic MMORPG and I really wanted to try out the game. But I am hesitant to try it as right now, I am playing Skyrim on VMFusion on low setting and it still crash often with memory problems even though I assigned VMFusion WindowsXP the full 4GB of RAM. I mean it works but it is frustrating that Skyrim crash so often on my Macbook, not sure is it because of VMFusion or is it the game itself which is downloaded and run from Steam. So if I have this kind of experience with Slyrim, I don't want the same thing happen to me if I play SW:TOR that is why I put off playing it for now, anyone has ideas or opinions?

My specs:
13" Macbook 2009 Aluminium Unibody
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ
NVidia GeForce 9400M 256MB

Reaction score
seems your video card doest meet them minimum requirements of the game. but this does raise a question in my mind. i have chosen to use bootcamp instead of VMFusion. When i tried Fusion it seemed i couldn't use the specks of the Mac to there full potential? i could be wrong but i like bootcamp much better.

Welcome to the forums.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Games that require graphic acceleration do not play well or at all from within a Fusion VM. Supposedly Parallels does better, however, the best way to run either game is from natural Windows installed via Boot Camp.

The video drivers are by Fusion which means your OS X drivers for the nVidia chipset are not used. Also, unless you're running a 64 bit version of Windows, memory will always be limited to around 3 GB regardless of how much you assign to the VM.

Reaction score
Games that require graphic acceleration do not play well or at all from within a Fusion VM. Supposedly Parallels does better, however, the best way to run either game is from natural Windows installed via Boot Camp.

The video drivers are by Fusion which means your OS X drivers for the nVidia chipset are not used. Also, unless you're running a 64 bit version of Windows, memory will always be limited to around 3 GB regardless of how much you assign to the VM.

thanks for the clarification.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard
Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks Chscag. Maybe that is why I can run Skyrim on the lowest settings in VMFusion but it crashes sometimes.
Well that means I have to do bootcamp naturally or I may just have to skip playing SW:TOR completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.