IOGear 2-port USB KVM Switch

T

todd51

Does anyone have any experience with these? I got my aunt set up with one because she just got a Mac Mini for her home computer. She wanted to use a KVM switch between it and her work laptop since she already had a monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Here's the deal:

There are 2 USB ports on the switch, one is meant for the keyboard, other obviously, for the mouse. She has a nice Logitech keyboard and mouse that only uses ONE usb port, so would I be able to hook up the printer to the other one and have it work too? I know I could always share out the printer, but I figured this would be easier.

We can't seem to figure out the hotkeys to switch between computers yet because she has a windows-based keyboard for the Mac.

The other issue is we completely forgot about her ethernet cable. She doesn't have wireless so we need some type of splitter and I didn't know if anyone out there uses one to split a single ethernet connection into two. Does it make the internet any slower?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12" 512mb 1.33 Ghz
Don't know if you still need help on this...
No idea about the printer, but the ethernet is easy. Juts pick up a wired router. You can get them on ebay for a few bucks. If you'd like you can try a big box store but if you pay more than $30 for a wired router you're getting ripped off. Don't forget to pick up a few lengths of cat 5 cable to run from the router to the PC and Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.