So decided on a macbook air

Reaction score
After a debate between MBP 13" and macbook air 13" - i decided on the latter. w/ similar config the price would
have been comparable - maybe the MBP a little bit more.

4 MB HD + 128G SSD is my ideal config.

Pro reasons...size/weight, higher rez display.

Cons..harder upgrade of components, no built-in cd-drive,

I'm mostly concerned about the upgrade of batteries and HD in the future.

I'll be using it primarily for software dev + browsing.

Anyone out there think I'm making the wrong decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
After a debate between MBP 13" and macbook air 13" - i decided on the latter. w/ similar config the price would

Software dev?
Like hardcore? Because you are going to need a fast processor and lots of RAM (maybe more than 4) depending on how much.

But as far as the hard drive upgrade goes, look at these two threads:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...-those-slow-1-8-pata-drives-wanting-sata.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-news-reviews/383788-mtron-mobi-3000-ssd-review.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

I recently went from a 15" MBP i5 2.4Ghz 8GB RAM to a 13" MBA C2D 2.13Ghz 4GB RAM. Besides being exceptionally more convenient to carry around and having an iPad/iPhone-like instant on capacity, I've not noticed any difference in my daily tasks. I do mostly Unix scripting and VM's on mine (aside form email, browsing and minor photo editing) and haven't gotten the cooling fans excited yet, nor run out of RAM. The DVD sharing from my Mac Mini has worked perfectly for installing VMs as well as MS Office. I have no regrets. The batteries are upgradable by Apple at a hefty price, or you can buy a 5 point torx wrench and do it yourself. I haven't seen kits available yet, but I'm sure they will show up at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Howdy!

I went through the same gyrations over the past couple of weeks. We had decided on a Mac for the Wife's next notebook, but I wasn't 100% sure on the MBP 13" vs. the MBA. Though the screen is stellar, I pretty much wrote off the 11", it's just a little too little screen real estate for us, so that left comparing the two 13" machines.

The MBA is a bit more portable, though the X/Y dimensions are close enough, and a bag/backpack kind of normalizes the carry weight. Certainly the MBA is lighter-on-the-lap! I also dug the SSD/solid state drive setup in the MBA, and the improved screen resolution (which almost completely sold me).

We wound up with the MBP 13" (just got it in this week, Merry Christmas to us :D). I'd say for me/us, these were the driving reasons:

Less expensive (MBP discounts are easy to find). We got a 4GB, 250GB HDD, 2.4 Ghz model to our door - if you back out the rebate - for $1049. That's $150 off via a rebate, no tax, free shipping. The MBA 128GB with 4GB was ~$350 more, though there was a point where there were a few discounts around $80 or so. I'd also add this is our first entry (since the mid 90's) back into the Mac market, so I wanted to be kind of frugal, though, I also wanted what I consider defines the Mac (aluminum chassis, etc., so no MB).

Faster CPU. I believe we'd be more CPU limited vs. storage speed limited. I could be off, but for "light" photo/video, web, and some development work (at some point), I felt the faster CPU trumped the SSD (see next item).

More expandable. While we got 4GB up front, we may eventually want more and with the swappable HDD bay, we could go SSD later if we'd like. The MBP also has a Firewire 800 port, though that may be of no consequence to you.

CD/DVD drive. I know people say this has become a very dated peripheral, but I love having drive. We're still sharing data between family/friends via CD/DVD, and while we could carry a drive with the MBA, that dilutes from of the portability. Her previous netbook was driveless, and I said the next machine would have an optical drive again. YMMV :)

Backlit keyboard. I can tell you, if the MBA had this, it would have been a really tough decision. I LOVE this as an option on a notebook. It was one of the things a potential Windows machine keep lacking (was considering the Acer Timeline X, Asus U-series, etc.) It's my understand the previous Airs had this, but I guess space constraints prevented it.

I believe there will be a Pro, with a backlit KB, integrated SSD, and higher res display as part of the refresh, at which point I'd probably seriously consider an upgrade (if the RAM was user upgradeable, etc.).

So in the end, for us, the backlit KB, CPU speed, price, optical drive, expandability carried more weight (er, pun kind of intended :D), than slightly better portability, SSD, higher res display.

Either machine is pretty awesome, since they both come with the total Apple experience :)

Have a terrific holiday!

DT

Reaction score
I think your making the right decision, macs are generally responsive and fast so I don't think you'll have any issues.

I am hopefully getting a MacBook Air for christmas, as I already have the MacBook Pro, but I find that a little 'chunky' to carry around with me, although it's fine in the house.

Reaction score
Sharp screen, amazingly thin and light, solid battery life these are some of the features I love about the 13 inch Mac Book Air, great choice. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.