New iBook,Need some help asap please

M

Mike7361

So last week I found this iBook at the airport,no one ever reported it so now its mine.Two problems..well one really theres a password that i cant get past after the computer boots,i dont know how to log in as an admin as I was trying to read @ apple.com.Do I need software?and exactly what software would i need to purchase to wipe out and redo the whole computer and where could I buy it.I am very knowledgable about windows but this is the first mac ive ever touched,there is no information on the entire computer(physically) like model info or anything,i know its got a 12'' screen and it reads ibook under the display and is running mac os x.any help would be appreciated,if you could catch me on aim my screen name is Mike7361,Thanks -Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
First off:

Contact apple and ask them to check if the owner registered his machine with the serial number on the 'book...

If he/she did, give it back and buy a mac mini with the reward money...

OP
V

vuschejan

Aptmunich said:
First off:

Contact apple and ask them to check if the owner registered his machine with the serial number on the 'book...

If he/she did, give it back and buy a mac mini with the reward money...

Yeah, If I ever lost my beloved Ibook I'd cry. Well. I wouldnt, but, I'd be unhappy. However, if it was returned to me I'd be very happy.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would do what have been suggested first. The owner may have some valuable data on it.

OP
F

Flaps45

I once found a portable and by calling the manufacturer they found the owner. All they asked was for a serial number and they called the owner for me and all...I returned it.

OP
M

Mike7361

so what cd's would i need to restore this ibook back to new?oh and i just took the keyboard off its a 800mhz/128mb/30gb/combo.

Reaction score
Mike, I dont think youre going to find many people here to be helpful so long as you havent tried getting the 'book back to its rightful owner. Do the right thing and call apple and at least let them try to find the owner.

Reaction score
From the original discs that come with your iBook, you just,... wait,.. you don't have them because you didn't buy that computer, so it is not yours

Return that computer!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Plus you do know that if the original owner has reported it lost/stolen and you go online with it that apple will be able to tell right?

OP
P

Phiber

Do the right thing and return it. I would be very sad if I had lost a computer that I spent hard earned money on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can reset the password by booting from panther install disc 1. so you would need ti buy panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I didnt lie. but if hes not even gonna try to return it, I hope he cant figure out how to do it.

OP
D

Desolate One

Macman said:
I didnt lie. but if hes not even gonna try to return it, I hope he cant figure out how to do it.

Indeed, he's got to know how to boot from a CD.

OP
M

Mike7361

got through the password,bought a charger and im set..thanks for all the help.-mike

OP
P

Phiber

Instead of saying what I was originally going to say, I'll go with this, because this forum is rather sensetive to insults:

Mike, you have no morals. You are a poor example of the human race as a whole. Finders keepers losers weepers is for pre-schoolers, Mike. Someday, someone will punch your lights out, Mike, because they will find that they highly dislike scumbags.

Just remember, what goes around comes around. It seems to be a universal truth, you know. I pray that you will reconsider your crime and at least call Apple to see whome really owns it. That is the correct thing to do. The moral, the right, the virtuous thing to do. Yet, I highly doubt you will. The only reason you posted a thanks here is to **** everyone off that told you to do otherwise. That is why you are, at least in my mind, many things that this forums' moderators would probably find highly offensive.

Oh and just so you know, I am the one who kicked your headlights in. ;)

OP
F

Flaps45

there's got to be a way to ban this guy out of here...let him get help somewhere else.

OP
V

vuschejan

Flaps45 said:
there's got to be a way to ban this guy out of here...let him get help somewhere else.

Allright guys, Calm down. This guy was faced with a choice, a choice to keep what he found or try to return it. He made a choice and will live with it. There is nothing we can do about the choice, so lets forgive and forget. He made a choice, maybe not the right one but, its his and we should respect it, and not agree with it within ourselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.