Music Files

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have most of my music in a folder in my computer. Recently I have decided to start using itunes for everything. Basically, I dragged my music file folder into itunes, and all of the songs now show in my playlist.

The only problem is that I show about 160gb of music on my hard drive, and ITUNES only shows about 46gb.

Can I now remove the original files since I moved them into itunes? Obviously I will buy an external drive to back them up on, but im not sure if i move the original files if Itunes will be able to play the songs without referencing the hard drive. I would like to not have to plug in hard drive to play music.

Also can anyone explain why theres such a variance in the file files on my hard drive vs what Itunes is telling me?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Sure.

iTunes uses its own directory for its library. When you copied them into iTunes, you essentially made copies of each file you had in that original folder (with the copies being in the iTunes directory).

Before you go to delete anything, make sure the iTunes directory has the music files.

The directory can be found at;
Finder - music - iTunes - iTunes media - music

If everything is there, it should be ok to remove the original folder at your discretion. It might be prudent to back it up first though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And to add to Adric's post, when you do move them to a Ext HD, make sure in iTunes Preferencs then under the Advance Preferences tab, that you make sure you have the Path set to the External HD. For example here is mine /Volumes/SuperDuper Backup/Users/TattooedMac/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music being SuperDuper as my Ext HD Backup.

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.