Soon to be Mac Daddy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
I have been a pc user for years and even built my most recent computer myself. However, my brilliant Step-Daughter has been accepted at Harvard University and has chosen a Mac as her new computer to take to school. (Please, no comments on how this choice shows her brilliance...) Anyway, she has picked out a MacBook as what she wants. I have a few questions before we run out and drop $$$ on this.

1. I plan to upgrade to 2GB of ram. Will wherever I buy it do this? Some websites offer this upgrade.
2. I also plan on setting it up to also run Windows. What are the differences, pros, and cons with bootcamp and paralells?
3. I also want to set her up with an easy back-up solution. I would like to use a Maxtor One-Touch so all she has to do is plug it into a usb port and push a button to back up her system. Are these HD's and their software Mac compatible?

I'm sure we'll come up with more questions as we move closer to purchasing. Thanks in advance for your help. I'll tell her she should register here and ask for help directly while away at school. Whether or not she'll listen to me remains to be seen.

Reaction score
I have been a pc user for years
I'm sorry.

I1. I plan to upgrade to 2GB of ram. Will wherever I buy it do this? Some websites offer this upgrade.
Good plan. RAM rules. Mac stores don't install RAM I don't think. If you order through Apple.com they will do it but you have to wait a little longer.

I2. I also plan on setting it up to also run Windows.
I'm sorry.

Congratulation on your decision to get a Mac. I doubt you'll be disappointed...

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Save your sympathy. It's not for me, it's for my Daughter. I run a trouble-free pc because I like to game. I like what I have and use, I just need a little help with understanding what she needs as I have no Mac experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
kitten_on_yarn.jpg

I love this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
3. I also want to set her up with an easy back-up solution. I would like to use a Maxtor One-Touch so all she has to do is plug it into a usb port and push a button to back up her system. Are these HD's and their software Mac compatible?

Manufacturer specs state PC and Mac, and the drive itself is firewire compatible. That's the IEEE [whatever that number is] side of it. I have found that with Macs, Firewire is better (and works as opposed to maybe not working) than USB. The HD will definitely be compatible (once Disk Utility is used to format it to HFS for the mac) and since the manufacturer states it is Mac compatible, it should work fine. Be sure to instruct her to use the Firewire cable for backing up her Mac. She can probably use the USB, but for high throughput stuff, Firewire works flawlessly with a Mac.

Keep in mind that I have no actual experience with this specific external drive. I have a Firewire non-branded enclosure with a Seagate disk drive which I use with my Mac and it works perfectly. I would assume that any other firewire external drive would also work as well.

And now, I'm going to go off and play a quick game on my Mac.

Reaction score
I run a trouble-free pc because I like to game.

hahahahah trouble free pc? lol j/k why dont you buy a mac and run bootcamp then you can have the best of both worlds and it will truly be trouble free.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
2. I also plan on setting it up to also run Windows. What are the differences, pros, and cons with bootcamp and paralells?

now don't get me wrong, i do wintel server support for a living, so i know my way around windows and i'm not a blind mac-fanatic. but why do this? is there some windows software without a mac equivelent that she absolutely cannot do without? does she want to do it, or is it for your own piece of mind?

as an old windows apologist, i still haven't found a good reason to sully my macbook with parallels or bootcamp.

btw, welcome to the forums!

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
hahahahah trouble free pc? lol j/k why dont you buy a mac and run bootcamp then you can have the best of both worlds and it will truly be trouble free.
Because I don't have 2 or 3 grand lying around to spend on a computer I don't know how to use. My pc cost me well under $1000 and plays the games I want it to (Half-Life and it's sequels and mods) flawlessly. I also enjoy "getting my hands dirty" and building it myself and playing with the hardware. Maybe someday when I have the money and time to invest, I'll take the plunge. Then I'll only have to worry about the Linux whiners...(j/k)

but why do this? is there some windows software without a mac equivelent that she absolutely cannot do without? does she want to do it, or is it for your own piece of mind?
Just to give her more options. She's used to a PC but has some Mac experience. She may be more comfortable in windows for some things...and my peace of mind. ;>)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Why? ....

Because:

CrossBones said:

biguglyman said:
Save your sympathy. It's not for me, it's for my Daughter. I run a trouble-free pc because I like to game. I like what I have and use, I just need a little help with understanding what she needs as I have no Mac experience.

Reaction score

I don't get your hostile reply. The person gave you a sincere and positive, supportive comment.

Reaction score
Well, I know that the ability to run both is what brings in most people, but let me tell you: Run OS X alone for a while. You can always put on Windows later. Trust me, if you try "surviving" with OS X for some weeks, you and your daughter will notice the difference. Your "peace of mind" will come from the fact that you don't have Windows. I for one, have never been peaceful with Windows. Nor have I with Linux, because of the fear that some part of the system will just frick up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hey surfwax95, how did you post that photo (great photo by the way!) without this forum making it a thumbnail? Did you just insert a URL or is there some other trick to learn? Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are looking at cost as you mentioned, but you drop money on another license of Micro$oft window. Look at your software needs. Will she be able to everything she needs with the software included with the MacBook. If she need a word processing application will any of the free ones work for her. You can look at either www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com for freeware and shareware.

What I see here is like buying a car for your child. The child wants some thing fast and sporty. Where as the parent wants some thing safe.

What I think you want is a system that your daughter can resolve her own problems. So that when she calls home, it will be about other things, like life problems (money :)) instead of a computer problem.

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
I don't get your hostile reply. The person gave you a sincere and positive, supportive comment

[sarcasm]You're right. The two "I'm sorry" replys in response to my original post were so helpfull. [/sarcasm] I really didn't think my reply was hostile at all, just honest. I don't have a problem with my pc and was just responding to the usual "holier-than-thou" attitude I get from Mac people. If you thought THAT was hostile, you should hang at some of the pc gaming forums...:eek:
I'll consult with the user and see if she thinks she needs Windows. If not, that could save some money. She will be buying this computer with graduation money. I personally don't have the money to burn on a Mac.

So, as far as my original questions go, the back-up choice should utilize firewire and be Mac compatible, and Windows may just fall by the wayside. If she decides she wants Windows, what works better, bootcamp or paralells? Would she be able to install and run any Windows software she wants with both?
I'll have to check with wherever she buys it for the ram upgrade. (Something I could do myself on a PC)

M

MacHeadCase

[sarcasm]You're right. The two "I'm sorry" replys in response to my original post were so helpfull. [/sarcasm] I really didn't think my reply was hostile at all, just honest. I don't have a problem with my pc and was just responding to the usual "holier-than-thou" attitude I get from Mac people. If you thought THAT was hostile, you should hang at some of the pc gaming forums...:eek:
I'll consult with the user and see if she thinks she needs Windows. If not, that could save some money. She will be buying this computer with graduation money. I personally don't have the money to burn on a Mac.

So, as far as my original questions go, the back-up choice should utilize firewire and be Mac compatible, and Windows may just fall by the wayside. If she decides she wants Windows, what works better, bootcamp or paralells? Would she be able to install and run any Windows software she wants with both?
I'll have to check with wherever she buys it for the ram upgrade. (Something I could do myself on a PC)

And something you can do *gasp* on a Mac too.

Just one example. OWC. Many more...

Reaction score
Hey biguglyman,

I'm new to the Mac world, just over a week old newbie. I believe if you want to run Windows XP on a Mac, Bootcamp will be the best solution as far as performance is concern. Here's the link to Bootcamp - http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
Run XP natively
Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

I believe Parallel is a virtual machine that runs pretty smooth. Should cost around $80. Here's the link for Parallel - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
Parallels Desktop for Mac is the first solution for Intel-Macs that give you the flexibility of running Windows on a Mac OS X simultaneously without rebooting.

But then again, i'm not a Mac expert.

Reaction score
I apologize if I misinterpreted your comments. It's difficult to read someone's emotions on a forum.:confused:

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Apology accepted. I may have been a little short. I have lots of experience on other forums with Macaholics and their constant pc bashing and Mac preaching. I think I'm pretty familiar with the pros and cons of the whole thing and stand by my position that:
1. I know pc's much better than Macs from a technical point of view.
2. I have few if any problems with my pc that I can't remedy myself. It seems to me the majority of pc usuers aren't educated enough about their equipment to utilize them properly.
3. I'm not convinced that the trade off between $$$ and ease-of-use is worth it.

I just came here for info. I won't try to influence you if you don't try the same on me. mmm-kay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
[sarcasm] If she decides she wants Windows, what works better, bootcamp or paralells? Would she be able to install and run any Windows software she wants with both?

Personally I would use Parallels. You don't have to bother with partitioning your drive or restarting to get to windows. Also with the new Parallels beta (which will soon be official version) there is something called "coherence mode" which lets your run programs in a single windows as if they were apart of the mac OS.

Here's what you should do, get the computer and download the parallels trial to see if it works for what you need, there's no need to drop 80 bucks on it right away if you aren't sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.