moving from a mini to an imac g5

Reaction score
I ordered my imac today. What's the best way to make the move? the mini was my first mac, so i'm kind of new to it, but can i just drag and drop from a cloned copy of my mini? will that work for apps? what about mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
iPod.

For me I all really wanted to save was my Movies, Music, and a few documents. Just enable Disk Use, drag files on to Mr. Pod there and you're good.

I hear .Mac's Back-Up thing is good too.

Anywho, iPod is the wasiest way in my opinion.

When you hook it up to the G5, just drag and drop the files into the correct files. I'll assume you know how to load songs onto iTunes.

If you need any other help with that, I've moved stuff alot back and forth between my computers. Just hit me with an IM on my .Mac account.

OP
briang
Reaction score
that probably won't get the mail though. i'd like this to be as seamless as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
When you first start your new iMac, the Migration Assistant (starts either before or after you enter the registration info, can't remember exactly) will help you to transfer your data (everything that is in your Home-folder, which includes mails, addressbooks, bookmarks, settings, etc.) from the mini to the iMac.
All you will need is a Firewire cable and follow the instructions on the screen.

Very easy, as usual with Macs... :cool:

Any apps that did not come with your Mac mini need to be reinstalled though.

OP
briang
Reaction score
Avalon said:
Any apps that did not come with your Mac mini need to be reinstalled though.

i can just drag and drop with that though, right?

btw, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
briang said:
i can just drag and drop with that though, right?

btw, thanks.

Yes you can. Once your iMac finished the migration and registration, you can start the mini again in Target disk mode (hold T while booting, I think it gets unmounted after the migration tool has finished) and acces it's harddisk.
There you copy your apps from the Application folder to your Application folder on the iMac. You can also copy your Preferences folder (in your Home>Library), so you will have all the exact same settings for all your apps as you haid on the mini. I don't remember if the Migration Assistant does that already or not.
If you have apps that need activation (like for example Adobe CS2) you might need to reactivate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I just installed Tiger on a Powermac g4. I used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my Powerbook to the Powermac. It transfered all the folder I told it to, all the settings, and all my applications in my applications folder. It was very easy. All you need, as said above, is a firewire cable.

However, these cables can be very hard to find, as you need one with the large end on both ends. I went to 5 stores, until I eventually found a Best Buy that had one. However, it was not located in the computer section, it was actually by the camcorders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
There's a program that updates all your stuff to your iPod, Mail, Entourage, etc. I think It's called iPod It. Check that... Might help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.