Speeding up my torrents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hey,

I know this has probably been discussed many times, but I've recently started using torrents on my mac and I'm using Bit On Wheels, though I'm not getting any speed.

I use to use my PC for torrents because it was fast, but I thought I'd try to use them on my mac and it just goes really slow, even on a torrent that has plenty of seeds.

Could someone please explain to me in a really simple step by step guide how I can speed up my torrents?

Thanks in advance. :Smirk:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Be aware that Bittorrent is a give and take system, meaning that you must share in order to receive. As such, Bittorrent is designed to keep your transmissions slow unless you have your firewalls properly configured to allow sharing. Also note that unless you have some data to share, your transmissions will be slow. So, if you're trying to download a 1GB file, during the first hundred MB or so of that transfer it will likely be very slow, but toward the middle to the end, it will speed up dramatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you're behind a router/firewall you'll need to be sure port forwarding is setup correctly. Presumably you did this to make you PC torrents works OK. So just change your mac client to use the port you used to use on your pc client. You may also need to configure a static IP for your mac - either in Network preferences or by using your router to always assign the same IP to your mac. Have a look at www.portforwarding.com for more info

Maybe try a different client too. I find transmission to be the best of the bunch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.