can I fake VRAM?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook with 64MB VRAM. I am trying to load final cut studio 3 which requires 128MB VRAM... I can't get past the point in the installation when it checks for the system requirements because I do not have enough VRAM.

As I understand it, VRAM cannot be upgraded.
short of buying a new computer (which I'd rather not do as I just paid 200 euros to have a new hard drive in my Macbook) is there a way to change the system description... so that it appears like I have enough VRAM?

or any suggestions of how I could get round this?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a MacBook with 64MB VRAM. I am trying to load final cut studio 3 which requires 128MB VRAM... I can't get past the point in the installation when it checks for the system requirements because I do not have enough VRAM.

As I understand it, VRAM cannot be upgraded.
short of buying a new computer (which I'd rather not do as I just paid 200 euros to have a new hard drive in my Macbook) is there a way to change the system description... so that it appears like I have enough VRAM?

or any suggestions of how I could get round this?
thanks

When Final Cut Studio 3 says it needs 128meg of VRAM...it needs 128 meg of VRAM...no faking. That's a limitation of the Intel GMA 950 chipset.

Your right...as far as upgrading VRAM in a MacBook...it cannot be upgraded...but there have been Macintosh computers in the past where VRAM was upgradeable.

If you really need to run Final Cut Studio 3, it may be time for a computer upgrade.

Sorry,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Final Cut Studio is out of the question. Pigoo3 is right, no way you can fake it. You could use Adobe Premiere CS4 which is 64-bit and Final Cut compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.