where do Files go in Itunes?

Reaction score
hi, got a new MBP last week and was able to transfer the Itunes "purchased songs" with no problem.

today I tried copying the other songs to a cd and transfer it to Itunes by dragging it. it worked (I think) because I was able to play them in Itunes. however, I cannot seem to find them in the File Folder in Itunes Music.

where would they be stored?

thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry, found them. they where under "Compilations"

why would it be there together with other songs I purchased?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Because iTunes is quite random sometimes! I have stuff that is not a compilation in any shape or form, and yet iTunes insists on putting them in a compilations folder.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The more I use iTunes, the less and less I go about browsing my music Library in Finder. Not a whole lot I need to do that can't be done in iTunes.

Those pesky ones that iTunes sets up and files away under Compilations use to bug me when I was still spending the time wanting to set up my own folder structure. Now I pretty much just leave it alone.

If you do want to change it though - do a Get Info on the song or album in question - go to the Options tab - and there you'll find 'Part of a compilation' that you can modify.

Because iTunes creates the basic folder structure based on the Artist and you do this for an album that has multiple artists in it's tags, you may end up with a folder for each and every one of those artists rather than a single folder that contains the entire album.

What I've noticed - An album by a single artist, but have one track on it that is a duo and the tag lists both of them - this album would end up in the compilations folder by default in order for iTunes to keep the album in a single location. Have seen some with no explanation I could find also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.