Can iPhone be used w/o AT&T

Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to use all the features of the iPhone sans the phone without activating it via a service contract with AT&T. Also, is it possible to get webmail on the iPhone's Safari browser...does the keyboard automatically appear when you need to enter text into username and password fields? If so, can you also compose webmail via Safari? Thanks.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you have to have service with AT&T to use any of the features on the phone. As far as I know the only webmail you can use is .mac, but I found this, and you could give it a shot and see if it works. And the keyboard does appear if you tap where you want to put in text.

Reaction score
you may want to check the details on the new iPod Touch. It's basically the iPhone without the phone. It does have wi-fi and I believe it also has Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you can use the non-phone features of the iPhone without an AT&T contract. There's a little app out there that bypasses the activation protocol and lets you use the rest of the functions.

The Safari browser works just like it does on the Mac, with the exception of Flash support. So you can access any sort of webmail. You can also add in POP/IMAP/Gmail/Yahoo/.Mac accounts to the Mail application and have it check periodically on its own.

Like jc1350 said, you might want to check out the newly announced iPod Touch if you want an iPhone without the phone.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, you can use the non-phone features of the iPhone without an AT&T contract. There's a little app out there that bypasses the activation protocol and lets you use the rest of the functions.

The Safari browser works just like it does on the Mac, with the exception of Flash support. So you can access any sort of webmail. You can also add in POP/IMAP/Gmail/Yahoo/.Mac accounts to the Mail application and have it check periodically on its own.

Like jc1350 said, you might want to check out the newly announced iPod Touch if you want an iPhone without the phone.

Thanks. That's exactly why I was asking, because I am thinking of purchasing a Touch, and since they didn't include Mail on it I just want to make sure I can get my mail through the web. Also, I was pondering the idea of getting an iPhone and just not using the phone part. Do you know where I can find the app that lets me bypass the activation protocol?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.