Getting my first Mac, couldn't be more lost.

Reaction score
I've owned Dells all my life, had enough of buying a $1,000 computer just to have it crap out in a couple years. The last one I got literally fell apart, then the software eventually just crashed and won't run in any mode other than safe. I would consider myself above average at computer skills, so that just shouldn't happen. So I replaced my Dell Inspiron desktop with an Acer Aspire, and couldn't be happier given what I paid for it. I got it for the sole purpose of storing music for itunes, because i have a rather large library. Since my laptops have crapped out though, I use it for everything now.

However, i need some kind of laptop. I'm building a house, so I'm low on funds, and i hear a lot of good about macs. I have never even thought about researching or trying one, but I am now, and i have come to respect what I hear about the iBook G4. I'll add my girlfriend's laptop has had it also, so I need to buy 2 and not break the bank. Hers will be used mostly for school, web surfing, and photos (she is a photographer). Mine will be used mostly for web surfing, but maybe a bit of documents and such for work. To put it simply, these don't need to compete with alienware. Are these iBooks still decent computers even in this day and age? The ones I am looking at are $160 a piece (best offer on ebay could get it lower) and are refurbished by authorized sellers. They are the mid 2005 models. I know that is old for a laptop, but I just hear so many good reviews.

Also, I understand I'll probably have to do some work to such an outdated computer. It has a 40GB hard drive, so if i decided to upgrade these, is that something I can do myself? Also, would you say the Mac OS is better than 7? Are there any other modifications you would recommend i do? Also, is airport a good enough wifi platform, or should i look into a USB adapter? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to tell the whole situation for better understanding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've owned Dells all my life, had enough of buying a $1,000 computer just to have it crap out in a couple years. The last one I got literally fell apart, then the software eventually just crashed and won't run in any mode other than safe. I would consider myself above average at computer skills, so that just shouldn't happen. So I replaced my Dell Inspiron desktop with an Acer Aspire, and couldn't be happier given what I paid for it. I got it for the sole purpose of storing music for itunes, because i have a rather large library. Since my laptops have crapped out though, I use it for everything now.

However, i need some kind of laptop. I'm building a house, so I'm low on funds, and i hear a lot of good about macs. I have never even thought about researching or trying one, but I am now, and i have come to respect what I hear about the iBook G4. I'll add my girlfriend's laptop has had it also, so I need to buy 2 and not break the bank. Hers will be used mostly for school, web surfing, and photos (she is a photographer). Mine will be used mostly for web surfing, but maybe a bit of documents and such for work. To put it simply, these don't need to compete with alienware. Are these iBooks still decent computers even in this day and age? The ones I am looking at are $160 a piece (best offer on ebay could get it lower) and are refurbished by authorized sellers. They are the mid 2005 models. I know that is old for a laptop, but I just hear so many good reviews.

Also, I understand I'll probably have to do some work to such an outdated computer. It has a 40GB hard drive, so if i decided to upgrade these, is that something I can do myself? Also, would you say the Mac OS is better than 7? Are there any other modifications you would recommend i do? Also, is airport a good enough wifi platform, or should i look into a USB adapter? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to tell the whole situation for better understanding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
My youngest had an iBook G4 and it served very well for many years, so I don't have anything bad to say about them. Having said that, if there is ANY way, you need to strongly consider stretching your budget to a MacBook or early MacBook Pro. I would not reccommend going with a Power PC Mac, when you can get an Intel one for not a lot more.

OP
S
Reaction score
My youngest had an iBook G4 and it served very well for many years, so I don't have anything bad to say about them. Having said that, if there is ANY way, you need to strongly consider stretching your budget to a MacBook or early MacBook Pro. I would not reccommend going with a Power PC Mac, when you can get an Intel one for not a lot more.

How much more are we talking? And what model exactly can i look for?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
How much more are we talking? And what model exactly can i look for?

I'm not real up on prices, but I believe I have seen a recent thread giving a typical price around $250 for an early MacBook.
Any of these in good shape should serve you fairly well.

EDIT: I looked on eBay and Amazon and found a number of MacBooks listed for around $350. I would guess if you look around and check Craigslist you can do better.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
An iBook G4 (Especially that very last model with Bluetooth) was a great computer. I still have my iBook G4 1.33 12". It's nice but getting long in the tooth. The G4 just can't keep up with todays usage. It's still useable for basic use, but getting slow and will not run the last two versions of OSX either.

I totally 100% agree with Razor. Get an Intel Macbook. If you are really broke, get the first one with just the Core Duo CPU. You can't run Lion 10.7 of OSX but Snow Leopard is just fine. It will still do everything a modern computer should do. If you can stretch the budget a bit more, go for a Macbook with a Core2Duo CPU and that way you can run the latest OSX also.

Check Ebay and Craigslist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.