got wifi signal but safari says NO ?

Reaction score
hope someone can shed some light on this.

4 years old macbook pro logged on to my home wifi as I have done for the last 4 years, wifi picks up my signal, connection verified by full 4 bars on top menu display, open safari and - you are not connected to the internet.

strange ??

My iphone - same wifi signal. works perfectly
My sons ipod touch - same wifi signal. works perfectly

Unplugged, shut down, re booted everything and still the same situation. picks up the signal and safari says you are not connected.

firefox & mail - still the same

8 year mac user - first real problem which I have had.

All help and advice is greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
What if you go to a website via IP, like 74.125.229.20 is one of Googles. If that works, it's DNS related. Can you see any other machines on your network? If so, that could also be a routing issue (i.e., you're staying inside your "internal" private network).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
When I'm having network issues like this, this first thing I do is open my Network System Preference. I check two things -
1. At the bottom of the list of network connections, I click the gear and select Set Service Order. I make sure Ethernet is first, then Airport and everything else below that. Apple ships computers with Bluetooth given the highest priority for network traffic, and sometimes your requests hit a brick wall trying to resolve through Bluetooth. This will lower Bluetooth's priority below Ethernet and Airport.
2. If that doesn't resolve it, I create a new location. Under the Locations pulldown, I select Edit Locations. I press the + button to create a new location, call it anything you like, make sure it's highlighted and click OK. Make sure you're on your new Location, click Apply and test your browser.
Hope these help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
NOTE: Thread moved to correct forum. Please read forum descriptions prior to posting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.