2T external for Time Machine & 1T drive for Data

Reaction score
I want to purchase a 2T external drive for Time Machine back up and a 1T drive for my video, photo and graphic files. Will time machine back up both the 1T external data drive and my iMac internal hard drive simultaneously? Also, any recommendations on the kind of hard drives to purchase?

OP
M
Reaction score
I want to purchase a 2T external drive for Time Machine back up and a 1T drive for my video, photo and graphic files. Will time machine back up both the 1T external data drive and my iMac internal hard drive simultaneously? Also, any recommendations on the kind of hard drives to purchase?

So, I purchased two LaCie drives, set them up and used the 3T drive for Time Machine. Began backing up everything. Everything worked like a charm for a couple of days but all of a sudden I'm receiving the following error message: Time Machine could not complete the backup. Unable to complete backup an error occurred while creating the backup folder.

However, Time Machine provides no information regarding how to fix this. What to do? I'm thinking of using iMac's Disk Utility to format both drives (the drives were already formatted to apple specs) and try again. Anyone have a better solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, Time Machine provides no information regarding how to fix this. What to do? I'm thinking of using iMac's Disk Utility to format both drives (the drives were already formatted to apple specs) and try again. Anyone have a better solution?

Before erasing the drives and reformatting them, do a verify and repair from Disk Utility to see what it says. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.