minidisplay port to thunderbolt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I was thinking of picking up a thunderbolt cinema display. my problem is i dont have a thunderbolt capable computer. I just have a mini display port. so will these 2 work together if i plug thunderbolt cable into my mini display port. will this work? im a little confused about the compatibilty between the two. i thought thunderbolt was backwards compatible with mini display port.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nope, it won't work. Thunderbolt is backward compatible but only works in one direction. For example: My 2011 iMac has a Thunderbolt port - I can use a MDP adapter and the appropriate cable to a display that is not Thunderbolt. It won't work going the other way which is what you're asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
It's a little odd that it won't work, simply displaying at a lower resolution than what Thunderbolt is capable of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.