• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

ichat audio chat question

Reaction score
ok i just recently got my imac g5 and im using it on a wireless router. so i have been having an audio chat lately with my friend on his imac g4. but recently it hasn't been working. it keeps giving me this error message.

I

iamthefetus

hello, i am the friend using the g4. we keep getting an error message stating there has been a 'network timeout' or the chat appears to work, then it says 'no data has been received in 10 seconds' and it closes out. connection doctor has not helped, and we even tried opening specific firewall ports

Reaction score
So, you guys are on the same network....

Tiger to Tiger iChat voice calls work. Tiger to Panther iChat calls do not... in either direction. I get an error that says "There is insufficient bandwith to maintain conference." on Tiger end. On the Panther end you get "There was a network timeout starting the conference."

This info is dated but I thought it might be relevant still, don't know. Does this relate to your exact situation....

I

iamthefetus

yes, that is whats going on. but the problem is, we've had MANY audio chats leading up to this problem, which only started a few days ago.

edit: sorry, no, we are not running on the same network, however, we are running on different versions of os x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.