Macbook - Can't log in

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 aluminum 13" Macbook. I cannot do anything to get past the log in screen. The computer was working fine, I left it closed for a couple hours and when I came back it had logged me out. I typed in my password and it logged me back in, but immediately kicked me back out. So I restarted it and the log in screen came up again, however it didn't even have my account recognized and when I type in my name and password it shakes likes its wrong and won't do anything.

Other situation info that I don't know if helped cause this or not:

My external hard drive was plugged into the computer, it was all night while my comp was sleeping, worked fine when I first when on today, but then a couple hours later this situation developed. When I first logged in and got kicked back out I closed the computer and removed the hard drive. After this is when it wouldn't recognized my password as correct so I restarted it and have gotten no where since.

Help pleaseeeeee, thank you for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try booting from your system install disc and run Repair Disk. If all is well then do the same witht the external connected and in Disk Utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok I was able to get in as administrator and have realized that my user account has disappeared. If I go to accounts in system preferences Administrator and guest are the only ones there.

What do I do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If your user folder is still in /Users/, create your account again, using the same short name as the name of your user folder. The system should see your user folder and ask if you would like to link the account to that folder. Say yes, let them sync up for a few minutes and you should be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.