• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are you reading right now?

Reaction score
A wise man once said you can never have to many threads about books. So what are you reading right now? Currently I am not reading anything except for the computer screen. :p

So what are you reading?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I'm in the process of re-reading 'Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim' by David Sedaris. It's pretty funny, a bit off-beat, but that's how I like my humor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'm reading the book of Acts, Chapter 9. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I just finished Antigone and I am almost done with Othello. I hope the next thing I have to read is somewhat more interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
PhotoShop CS2 for Windows and Mac

I'm gettin' my learn on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Mac OS X Tiger Edition The Missing Manual. Also, "Houses That Change The World"
I'm a reader so I keep at least 2 going all the time...when I'm not on the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Criminal Investigation 9th ed. by Swanson et al. Studying at 3:25am? Sigh :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Currently "Only Revolutions" by Mark Z. Danielewski and "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche. Both pretty hard going to be honest but rewarding all the same, just wish I'd chosen one "heavy" and one "light" but never mind. Only Revolutions is crazy, very hard to describe but if you've read House of Leaves (If not then I recommend, not for everyone but I really liked it) you'll understand how much Danielewski likes to play with style and structure - in OR you actually have 2 books telling the same story in different time-scales from the perspective of either Sam or Hailey and read 8 pages each, alternating between the 2. And it's all written in prose. Fun!

In the queue at the minute are:
The Bell Jar, Dice man, Lolita, and various Nietzsche starting with "the Antichrist". I also want to re-read "House of Leaves".

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-reading 'Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim' by David Sedaris. It's pretty funny, a bit off-beat, but that's how I like my humor.

Sebastian. seriously. if you ever need a place to stay in minnesota, you've got an open invitation. ;)

i used to read a lot in high school and college, and it's gone so way down hill from there. i've got a few things started for months now that i need to get back into:

"the culture of fear: why americans are afraid of the wrong things" by barry glassner

"the lucifer principle: a scientific expedition into the forces of history" by howard k. bloom

"the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by mark haddon

"talk to the hand: the utter bloody rudeness of the world today, or six good reasons to stay home and bolt the door" by lynne truss (of eats, shoots & leaves fame)

and many issues of sierra club magazine, car and driver, paste, and wired.

Reaction score
I have my school finals in 8 weeks. For that, we have to read 10 books in german, 4 english and 4 french.

Here's a pick from my list:

Goethe - Werther
Horvath - Jugend ohne Gott
Frisch - Homo Faber
Hohler - Die Karawane am Boden des Milchkruges
Gaarder - Das Kartengeheimnis

Sartre - Huis Clos
Molière - Le Misanthrope

Oscar Wilde - Picture of Dorian Gray
Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men
Poe - Selected Tales

I have to (re)read all of them by the end of May.

Reaction score
But then Yogi, in that personality test you came out as a Genius didn't you...so what else would we expect you to read.....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if he was really a genius, he wouldn't have to read all that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men

Love that book. I'll have to pick up a copy it's been years since I read it. I also need to re-read Huis Clos, I read it online a while back so I'll have to see if it's about...

F

fpgilbert

I usually have two or three going at a time; here is the current lineup:

Emotional Design by Norman

the sinner's guide to the Evangelical Right by Lanham

The Road by McCarthy

Being the ADD/OCD screwball that I am I'm usually all over the map with my books. Next week I'll probably have a book on the Catechism, one on raising dairy cows, and a ghost novel about abandoned spaceships to round things out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
The Areas Of My Expertise by John Hodgman of I'm a PC fame :)

It's actually a little harder to get into than I thought it would be - but I'm going to stick with it for a while at least.

I also started reading Brian Greenes' The fabric of the Cosmos - not quite got into that book yet either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.