Intermittent Shut Down Problem

Reaction score
So I searched various threads and could not seem to find an answer to my issue. My Macbook Pro is a mid 2010 model, and this issue has only happened 2 or 3 times. What happens is, I go to shut down and when I select shut down, nothing happens. It does the same thing for restart and sleep as well. I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button. It seems like people fixed similar issues by resetting the SMC, but that was when the issue was happening all of the time. LikeI said, mine has only done it 2 or 3 times within the 2 years I have owned it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
Your problem is a program or service that doesn't react on the shutdown or sleep. You should try start your mac in safe mode and see what services that has been installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.