macbook pro fan running quietly all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp15inch, 2.2 ghz quad core, 512 mb video ram, 4gb ram/ Imac 21inch 2010
My mac sadly fell of a desk, no cosmetic damage praise the lord!!!!!!! but the next night my macs right fan turned on quietly and hasn't stopped since, its really irritating and annoying. its not over heating at all, all i have open is chrome and growly notes. and it still always on.

the mac has been running like before the fall except for that, PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN't A SIGN OF DAMAGE!!!!!!

please respond asap

thanks guys

2.2 ghz quad core 512 mb macbook pro 15 inch late 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Download iStat Pro and make sure the temperatures are not excessive. Perhaps the fan has always run and has a slightly bent fan blade after the fall.

http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
reply to first post

if its bent would that void my apple care? and if thats the case how much would the repair be? cpu is around 112f and the fans are both steady at 1995 but i just hear one of them

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The temperature and fan RPM are normal. What is it exactly that you're hearing? You mentioned that the fan turned on??? Both should never be off or your MBP will overheat and shut down. My iMac which I'm on right now has three fans and they're constantly on.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they have always been running every moment, but ever since the fall i have been able to hear them while do anything even just interment surfing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's a different problem from the way you described it at first. You're now saying the fans are noisy?

Open up the machine and check them out to see if they're aligned properly. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual for instructions.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already tried that and two screws won't come out. on the bottom case of my mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already tried that and two screws won't come out. on the bottom case of my mac.

Make sure you're using the proper tool to remove the screws. It's also possible they may be stripped which means using a special tool to remove them.

Your attached file did not come through with sound but in any event, if you can hear the fan making noise other than its normal sound, it may be knocked out of alignment.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using the proper screw so chances are it was stripped.

thanks everyone

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, that's a different problem from the way you described it at first. You're now saying the fans are noisy?

Open up the machine and check them out to see if they're aligned properly.

This is exactly what I was thinking...problem described in the thread title & post #1 is not what's really going on!:)

@flyhigh13: If I'm understanding things correctly...your MacBook Pro fell off your desk...and now you can hear your fan running more than before the fall.

Sounds to me something got bent in the fall...and now the fan is rubbing against something. The only way to determine what it is...is to take things apart & inspect for any damage or bent/broken metal or components.

Like "chscag" recommended...go to iFixit.com for DIY instructions.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Screws only get stripped if:

- the incorrect screwdriver is used (too big or too small)
- too much force is used to remove or tighten the screws during assembly/disassembly (especially with the tiny screws used in laptops)
- the screws aren't started correctly...and they get "cross-threaded"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.