Application Cleaner/Removal??

T

thorsonb

What's the best application to use to remove apps from your Mac??

I recently removes a few apps from my macbook, but i just dragged n dropped the applications from the "Application" folder to the trash bin..

But i realized that some of the apps stored/saved data else where on my HDD..

which is annoying... app removed.. but app data/setting still on my Mac

P.s. I'm new to mac :p any great suggestions would be appreciated

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I use one called AppZapper. Works fine on those rare occasions I need it.

As for general App deletion, what you did was the correct way to delete Apps. In general Mac Apps don't throw things hither and yon in your system as Windows Apps do so you don't have a bunch of junk floating around your drive. The general rule of thumb is if an App comes with an uninstaller, use it. Otherwise dragging to the trash and deleting it is the way to go. What does get left behind is a small prefs file which has no negative system impact other to that to use a few Mb of drive space at most.

Remember, this isn't Windows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I've always dragged them to the trash and deleted, and then used "search" or spotlight to find any remaining files associated with the app. Trash them as well and you're done.
That's probably a bit anal, but it works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I second Appzapper. I use it a lot and it works just fine for me.
But many others have said Appcleaner works too.

OP
C

chas_m

baggss has it absolutely correct. If you're the anal-retentive type, get AppZapper or AppDelete or AppCleaner, otherwise don't worry about it and just trash apps in the normal way (unless the app in question comes with an uninstaller as baggss said).

Reaction score
I use appcleaner and it is pretty decent... recommend it for novice users... there is nothing too complicated to remove the apps anyways

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
. If you're the anal-retentive type, get AppZapper or AppDelete or AppCleaner

Well ill help out the OP with a suggestion because i must be anal-retentive but i like and USE AppTrap ..... You dont even see it as it sits in the Pref Pane and in un-obtrusive and un seen, and with this you just drag to the trash and it does everything else, but will ask if you want to trash the associated files/folders it find :)

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well ill help out the OP with a suggestion because i must be anal-retentive but i like and USE AppTrap ..... You dont even see it as it sits in the Pref Pane and in un-obtrusive and un seen, and with this you just drag to the trash and it does everything else, but will ask if you want to trash the associated files/folders it find :)

TM

+1 for apptrap !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.