• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google Video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
Anyone else seen that the US version of Google Video has finally gone live in Beta after all the media hype? Google Video

Also notice how they've imposed pointless restrictions on the content...you can't watch the vids unless you can install a crappy Google viewer .exe file. Great. :rolleyes:

It's becoming very apparent why Google are getting so huge in stock value on potential income alone. So many services that no doubt one day will become pay services. Decent Google alternatives must be delveloped soon, the Google stranglehold is starting to choke.

For those annoyed by the Google video Exe thing, here are some other sources of interesting video from off the top of my head that I like!....

BBC Motion Gallery
The Internet Archive

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 1gb Ram
technologist said:
It's still in Beta.

Being polite and asking nicely never hurt.
http://video.google.com/support/bin/request.py

Point noted: The following has been sent to Google.

As a media production student, I am more than interested in your Google video project, and it's scope for access to a variety of video from around the world that otherwise would not be available. But like many thousands of other people who would be interested in Google video, I am a Mac user. I kindly request on behalf of the Mac community that you remove the restriction to access imposed on non-PC users through your deployment of the Google video software as a PC only application by either making all Google video content accessible without the need for non-browser based software to be installed, or though the release of viewer software for other platforms. Preferably the former. Kind regards, Jonathan Goodwin - long time Google fan.

I won't hold my breath though, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there other apps all PC only?

My comment about the Google stranglehold still stands though, mainly beacuse of a recent dispute with them over the pulling of some Google Ads created by my employer. Without saying to much (possible legal dispute issues here!)...Google were on dodgy grounds by pulling these ads, and were basically playing into the hands of a major corporation who have more cash to throw their way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I sent them a mail asking for a mac upload tool, and AFAIK they've since released one...

Shouldn't be long until the other features are mac-compatible as well.

Besides - when has Google ever been interested in making money off the consumers? All their business models are Ad-supported - they'll display ads related to the keywords you tag your uploaded videos with, or they'll display ads with video software & hardware or something...

I also think that the sheer amount of information that Google now controls or will control in the future is frankly starting to become questionable, but at the same time I don't think it is anything to be worried about really.

I would like to see more concrete company policies put into place on what can be done with the information they gather and receive. "Don't be evil" is a nice PR slogan, but not really a concrete statement on the protection of customer data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I saw that, but it still isn't really working for me...
Clicking on some videos will just take me right back to the main search page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah it's working now..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.