Accidentally uninstalled part of Avast!...now the rest is untouchable.

Reaction score
Silly me thinking dragging the icon to the trash and deleting it wouldn't be the way to delete something...but anyways, I still have the Avast! icon on the top right and I really really really need this whole thing to disappear. It's causing sporadic slowness, and needs to go. The only solutions I've found for deleting it require things that were in the main app and can't be accessed. I'm about to pull my freaking hair out here, so any solutions would be greatly appreciated. :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Firstly, to truly get rid of apps and all the associated folders, download Appzapper (free) and install it, then when you drag things to the trash it takes everything with it and gives a pop up warning too. It's a proper uninstaller to a certain extent.
As for your current issue, look in the system library>application support>Avast and drag anything from there to trash. Or, if it came with an uninstaller, install it again and then uninstall, that should take everything away.
If you still have the icon, it may be in the start up items folder. Just drag it to trash again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
I have never used Avast on my Mac but had the same problem on my gaming PC when I tried to uninstall Avast. Turns out that removing Avast requires a a special uninstall tool not included with the original installer package. You will need to search for the tool which as I recall was not too hard to find. I do recommend Appzapper also as I used it to rid my Mac of that annoying iTunes Tuneup Companion which is a stubborn program to be rid of.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies! Kevriano, looking under app help worked. It's weird though, nothing under avast or Avast! came up in finder after I deleted the first part. I hate software that purposely makes it difficult to delete.. Anyways I think I'm going to download AppZapper anyways for the future haha. Thanks again guys. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The best way to get rid of unwanted applications is to the use the uninstaller. You may find it necessary to go back and download the software again and then use the uninstaller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.