Macbook Pro + 27" screen Vs 27" iMac?

Reaction score
I want to change my 9,1 21" iMac and was planning on a new 27" similar. There's nothing wrong with the existing machine but I need to use CAD and want a larger screen. Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Someone has suggested to me that a Macbook Pro with a Thunderbolt 27" monitor would be as good and more flexible. Does anyone have any thoughts? Cost is not a worry.

It's certainly more flexible. if you need portability..."Portable a 27" iMac is not!"...(says Yoda).;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks - portability was the idea. What I need to know is whether this portability comes at the cost of performance or would I not notice the difference on day to day activities?

Since the Geekbench on your current iMac is ~ 3600 and the lowest 2012 version 13 in MBP has a Geekbench of 6690 (10,841 on the 15 in Model), no, you shouldn't notice a performance hit.

EDIT: Depending on how hard the CAD software hits the Graphics the 13 in MBP may be slower since it lacks a dedicated GPU. For CAD or other Graphics intensive work I would go with the 15 in MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
After parking on the wrong side of an unfamiliar mall, and having to haul a new 27 inch iMac about ten miles, I can definitely say that it is not portable. By a long shot.

You may take a horsepower hit on the MBP over the iMac. Depends on how intense your CAD is.

However, I used a MBP and TB display for a considerable time as a desktop. Worked fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks both - this is what I needed to know. Having considered everything I think I will go with the 27" iMac because I like the one I have and the portability of the other arrangement isn't such a huge advantage - in fact I'd probably leave it on the train!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to hold on for awhile before purchasing that 27" TB display. New ones are due out soon and should have improvements - such as USB 3 ports instead of USB 2 and a low glare display.

OP
B
Reaction score
I has heard that the current 27" iMac was due for upgrade. I didn't know about USB3 or the screen alterations but had heard the processor was due to be upgraded. Any ideas on when this might be likely to happen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't expect to see the iMacs upgraded anytime soon. Of course one can never tell with Apple..... the iMac currently is in the middle of its life after the last upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.