iTunes 11.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Help! I can't get to grips with the latest version. In 'Podcasts' there is no longer a 'Refresh' button and I can't see how to look for archive from the BBC any more. Also I don't like the way my music is displayed. In essence I'd like to have the previous format back!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There have been several threads showing how to get back to a previous version of iTunes from iTunes 11. Please use the forum search option.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Cilck to Podcasts, look at the big circular icon at the bottom left? That's the refresh button. You can get the "old" format, by click on List in the middle window on top. You will see Unplayed, Podcasts, and List..

C

chas_m

I could post a really lengthy note about this, but here's the bottom line. Not everyone has been on Apple as long as I have, so this cycle may seem new to them. It's not.

This is how Apple works with software. They invent something or buy something, and its amazing but kinda basic -- take any 1.0 version of any Apple program as an example.

Over the years, they build it up with extra features -- but eventually it gets unwieldy and not particularly use-friendly anymore. Most other software companies just keep going with that, and you end up with something like MS Office or Photoshop that takes ages to load.

Apple takes a different approach. Periodically, they destroy or start over on programs that have gotten this way. Sometimes they replace it with a reinvention of the entire app (iMovie, FCP, AppleWorks, and now iTunes), sometimes they just kill it outright (iWeb, iDVD and about a hundred other things).

The replacement program might be labelled 11.0 or whatever, but in fact it's a 1.0 all over again, and is "missing" a lot of stuff that was in the previous version. And there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth and cursing of Apple and the women do lament and the children do suffer.

Then, Apple over the course of a year or so builds up the new paradigm to the point where it is awesome, not yet too bloated, but all the important features back and the new workflow REALLY IS an improvement on the old one.

Lather, rinse, repeat. See previous comparisons of iMovie '07, FCP X, the 680x0-to-PPC, PPC-to-Intel, iTools/Mac.com/MobileMe/iCloud or for that matter when Adobe dropped Pagemaker and Framemaker and went with InDesign. Oh the wails and cries! Oh the shaking of fists in a skyward direction! And then a year or two later 99 percent of users are happy again.

So if you think of iTunes 11.0 as a 1.0 of that new infrastructure, then you'll notice that 11.0.1 that was just released has started "adding back" features that were dropped in the previous version. The pattern repeats.

I have found it best to be patient, and offer constructive feedback about features that should be reinstated. The change is disruptive, particularly the way Apple does it -- but in nearly every case I can think of, the change was ultimately better than what was left behind. Eventually.

Oops, kinda got lengthy after all, didn't I? :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Updates

"I could post a really lengthy note about this, but here's the bottom line. Not everyone has been on Apple as long as I have, so this cycle may seem new to them. It's not........."

Thanks Chas, as usual most helpful. I would recommend anybody not 'in the know' to read Chas' remarks, only quoted in part here.

I thought it was just me being a dumbo so I'm pleased to have a new understanding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.