Installing a new OS on a broken Mac

Reaction score
Ok so I've got 2 Macs; an old broken Macbook that comes up with a flasing folder icon when you turn it on, because the HDD is empty and a working Macbook Pro.

The old macbook will not go into Target disk mode if you hold T when you turn on the computer, it just stays on the flasing folder icon.

Now I got a retail copy of the Mac installation and I want to know if I can install it the Target disk mode way even though the broken Mac can't enter Target disk mode or if I need to purchase a DL DVD to put the OS on? The latter I would have to use an external DVD drive anyway since the DVD drive on the Macbook is not working (but I already own one).

So it's just a case really of if I can save money on the DVDs by using target disk mode.

Cheers
Duane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its sounds as if you have downloaded oSX and want to burn it onto disc.

Is it OSX Lion you have bought from iTunes?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes.

I can mount the Install to my Macbook Pro in the disk utility, I just don't know if I can install it to the other Mac because it can't boot into Target disk mode.

Of course I can burn it to a DVD but the other option would be cheaper, assuming I can do it. For example if I search our local electronics store, they don't stock dual layer DVDs so I can't just easily go in there and then do it tomorrow, so it's also about convenience. I only need the 1 DVD and as far as I can find I need to buy a minimum of 5 at £10, which is a bit of a waste if I can do it free via Firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.