Lion and slow computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17 2.8 GHz Intel OS 10.7.3 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Core 2 Duo
Has anyone else experienced a slower computer since they installed Lion? What can be done about it? Everything on my Macbook pro seems slower, from opening excel, Mail, pdf preview, growers, just about everything.

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Not sure what can be done about it - Lion has more features in re-opening documents you closed an apps with, versioning, ... All that needs horse power and I guess borderline supported HW suffers a bit. I noticed the same here as well on an early 2008 iMac.

I use it at work and always need to be connected to smb shares which worked great on Leopard Snow. Lion seems to be struggling a bit more and seems to disconnect after inactivity on the network connection which means it's reconnecting every time I go back to files on the network.

Also Preview is hanging when opening a file from a network drive that doesn't support versioning and tells me at some point it's unsupported.

Long story short: I have seen similar issues you have with my "older" iMac and MBP. My brand new iMac at home is super speedy and doesn't show any slow downs after the Lion upgrade.

Maybe future Apple software updates will streamline some things that slow down some of our systems.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17 2.8 GHz Intel OS 10.7.3 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Core 2 Duo
Thanks for the answer. I hope things get better. My Macbook is only a year old so it should not be happening.

Reaction score
I have a 2011 MBP and Lion made it slow as heck, I did a fresh install recently to see if it would help and .....nope not really Lion is still slow :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.