Mac Pro + SATA Optical Drive

Reaction score
Hi,

Please dont automatically hang me...

But iv got a MAC Pro, Running Windows XP Pro (cus OS X doesnt yet support HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) and am trying to add an optical Blu-ray drive into it... alas in windows the 2 additional onboard SATA ports are inactive and the only ports i have availiable are the 3 additional HDD caddy slots at the top of the case...

Alas these ports are kinda the wrong gender to just insert a standard SATA cable into, does anyone know where i can get a gender changer or a another way of getting this drive working in the computer !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
There are two "hidden" SATA ports, are you saying those are the one's that are inactive? They should work fine if you plug the optical drive into one.

xlr8yourmac.com has a nice walkthough. HD/ Optical drive is the same difference. Install is the same except the drive sled is designed for the optical drive.

OP
Aztech
Reaction score
There are two "hidden" SATA ports, are you saying those are the one's that are inactive? They should work fine if you plug the optical drive into one.

xlr8yourmac.com has a nice walkthough. HD/ Optical drive is the same difference. Install is the same except the drive sled is designed for the optical drive.

These ports would work fine for installing a SATA optical drive while using Apple OS X, but when running windows XP in bootcamp, those two sata ports are disabled ! the only four that are availiable to the operating system are the ones along the top of the chassis designed for the HDD caddie's...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Sorry, I tried newegg and google and came up empty. :(

OP
Aztech
Reaction score
Well i found this SATA Cable last night, after some very random searching...

http://www.satacables.com/

do a search for item number SS-AZX20MPSS and u'll see the cable i need, unfortunatly these people are an American Only retail store, they wont ship to the UK.... dammit...

Alas i cant seem to find a UK based company that does anything like this !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
You should be able to find a SATA cable in your local computer shop. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.