Mac Pro won't search external drives?

Reaction score
When I type something to search in "spotlight" or the space in the top right of an open folder, chances are I won't find it. I guess my mac won't search any of my external fire wire hard drives. Even if I open the hard drive and I am looking at a document, if I type that document name into the search it won't find it.
I have a new Mac pro and my OS is the one just before Snow Leopard... 10 point something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Hum .... something is wrong. I have an external HD I use for Time Machine backups. If I search for "backup" in Spotlight, my external HD shows up first on the list of hits. Do you have your external HD icons on the Desktop and shown in your Finder Devices list?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you checked Spotlight preferences to make sure that your external drives are included in Spotlight indexing?

OP
K
Reaction score
Everything else seems normal. I'm not home right now but I remember checking spotlight preferences and not seeing the drives as options... I have to check again when I'm home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.