Can time machine be used in server environment?

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting an iMac soon that will be running in our small office windows server environment. We have the newest server software, Server 2008, I believe. We already back up all the local computers to the server and cloud but can I use Time Machine to view my backups on the server?
I am the owner so permissions etc aren't an issue.
TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
No.

W2K8 server will not interface with Time Machine at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm not really sure what the question is, but it seems unlikely that Time Machine would be able to view or manipular backups of a different operating system, created by a different application using a different file format without some serious coding. What are you using specifically to backup now, and to what type of format?

OP
S
Reaction score
I just wanted to use the time machine interface to retrieve any accidentally deleted files but it doesn't seem to be possible. Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Windows Servers have had what are called Shadow Copies for a long long time.

I would ensure that Shadow Copies are enabled on the volume that contains the data you'd like protected.

Shadow Copies are similar to Versions on OS X Lion and unlike Time Machine in that they live on the same volume as the data.

When Shadow Copy is enabled on a volume you will see the Previous Versions tab when getting properties of a folder. The previous version will allow you to restore the folder or files to a previous time, say from accidental deletion. The default Shadow Copy schedule is 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM.

As a note to all, this is not enabled by default, but should always be turned on IMHO for all Windows file servers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.