PC not recognizing firewire drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I just bought the Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition 500GB hard drive for my computers. I am running it via Firewire 800 on a Mac and PC. Now i reformatted it with Windows NT formatting so it would be compatible with both sides. With the Mac, it works perfectly, but i am having a problem with Windows XP. I plug it in, Windows does that ding like something is connected, but it does not show up in My Computer. So i go into Device manager, it shows up, but there is a yellow question mark around it. What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
a yellow question mark means it is not recognizing it

is this a PCI firewire card or built in firewire?

MAC osx tiger and lower can only read from NTFS, not read to it, can leopard now? not sure.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
This is via the internal Firewire 800 port that is on my MBP. What do you mean by "MAC osx tiger and lower can only read from NTFS, not read to it, can leopard now? not sure."?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Out of the box OSX can only read from an NTFS drive and can not Write to it. You can install a driver that will allow OSX to Write to an NTFS drive also. Windows reads and writes to both NTFS and FAT32.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^^ yup, i wrote me response wrong, read and read DUH! matt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
If it isnt' recognizing the external hard drive that means it really isn't installed you may have to manually install the driver. Did the external hard drive come with a install CD. If not then you may have to go to the Western Digital website and download the driver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.