Certain Keys on Keyboard not working

Reaction score
OK, here's what happened:

My friend spilt some tea on her Macbook keyboard but dried it up almost straight away. The problem is that some of the keys the tea landed on have now stopped working - specifically delete, both shift keys (although she swears only one was hit by the tea), and enter. This is particularly annoying as her OSX login name has an underscore in it - meaning that at this moment in time she is unable to log in, rendering her macbook useless!

She's removed the offending keys from the keyboard to see if there was any tea residue underneath, but everything seems fine.

The only thing I can think of is to plug in an external USB keyboard and use that to login, but she doesn't live near any computer stores and needs this problem fixed ASAP so that she can continue/retrieve her schoolwork.

My questions are as follows:

Is there any way to get past the login in the current state, e.g. an alternative way to input an underscore, or boot disc that will let her access the files on the hard drive, a default login that doesn't contain an underscore - anything?

Is there any way to fix the offending keys without replacing the entire keyboard? And if not, does the macbook have to be sent to Apple or is keyboard replacement a process that you can do yourself?

I think that's about it...to summarise: essential keys not working, can't log in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, KoR_Wraith.

You can't fool the system: if you need to type an underscore, it needs an underscore. The only thing I could think of is using an app like PopChar X but it isn't free and I can't see anyone using an app instead of the keyboard for mid to long-term use. It would be most annoying.

Your friend could change the keyboard herself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.