g5 vs imac

Reaction score
need your assistance. what is better , a Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz with 16gb of ram vs a new imac 21.5 in, or even a 20/24 inch imac. isn't the ram the great equalizer in teh g5. i want to do video and the g5 machine seems set up for that . is the new mac that much better with just 4gb of ram?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Note: moved to a better forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacg5 dual 1.8~emac900mhz overclocked 10.4.11 tiger~powermacg5 1.6
ummmmm g5 ofcourse

C

chas_m

If you were comparing the quad G5 to the Core i7 quad iMac, I'd have said the iMac (with more than 4GB of RAM of course).

The quad G5 sound a perfectly good machine for what you want, but bear in mind that its obsolete (has been for years, actually). If it will do what you want it to do, GREAT! But its stuck where it is forever.

If you're suggesting someone is offering you a quad G5 w/16GB RAM for the same prices as a brand new iMac (any model) tell them to stop pulling your leg. The G5 still has a lot of value, but nothing like retail for a new machine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.