Late 2008 MacBook has moving blue lines on screen.

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 Aluminum MacBook recently I started getting horizontal and sometimes vertical blue moving lines on my screen. They go away sometimes weeks at time or months then they come right back. Wondering what the issue would be, and can it be fixed without sending it in and paying 280 dollars.

OP
M
Reaction score
It seems like when it has been on for awhile, and gets hot it does it. It will then stay with blue lines for a while then it all comes back again. It was really bad when i created this, and now its fine again. Im so lost. Im about to take my MacBook apart and see if there is a loose connection. What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
It depends on the lines and their locations. If you're talking about a line that or pattern that moves across the display in a semi-orderly manner it's likely the logic board. If you're talking about a line or sets of lines that "kick on and kick off" sometimes staying on for a while, then it's the display.

The types of lines in the latter case will run the whole length of the display (top to bottom or left to right for each line) and each line will usually be just one color only (one might be white, one might be blue, etc). It could also be a cable issue, but I doubt it.

The displays have a circuit board lying across the back and side(s) of the display. It's glued in place. When the glue starts to separate, some of the traces start making intermittent contact and the result is a "light show." The 17" 2006 iMac's were famous for this. Go to eBay and do a search for 2006 17" iMacs (I know, I know, you have a MacBook Pro) and see if you can see some of the units on display there that have photos of the problem. If that's what yours looks like, then the display is almost certainly the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.