College student looking for Feedback from Mac/Apple Users

Reaction score
Hello Mac-users,

My name is Kevin and I am a college student doing some research in an anthropology class. I need to get some feedback from mac/apple users. That is where I need your help. It would be very helpful if you could answer a few questions for me (Just let me know if you want to remain anonymous in my research). Answer as many as you would like...

- How long have you owned a mac or apple product(s)? How do you feel about them?

- Do you feel like there is an emotional attachment between you and your apple product(s)? Please explain briefly.

-Do you feel an emotional attachment to other mac-users or friends who own apple products?

-Do you feel like you are in a "community" with other mac/apple-users? If so, please explain briefly.

-If you could describe your mac/apple experience in one word only, what would that word be?

-Have you ever seen the documentary "MacHeads"? What is your reaction to the film?

-Do you feel like you are a "MacHead"? If you havn't seen the documentary, what is your own personal definition (opinion) of a "MacHead"?

Thank you for taking the time for answering these questions. Your feedback is very helpful to my research.

Greatly Appreciate it,
Kevin

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hello Mac-users,

My name is Kevin and I am a college student doing some research in an anthropology class. I need to get some feedback from mac/apple users. That is where I need your help. It would be very helpful if you could answer a few questions for me (Just let me know if you want to remain anonymous in my research). Answer as many as you would like...

- How long have you owned a mac or apple product(s)? How do you feel about them?

- Do you feel like there is an emotional attachment between you and your apple product(s)? Please explain briefly.

-Do you feel an emotional attachment to other mac-users or friends who own apple products?

-Do you feel like you are in a "community" with other mac/apple-users? If so, please explain briefly.

-If you could describe your mac/apple experience in one word only, what would that word be?

-Have you ever seen the documentary "MacHeads"? What is your reaction to the film?

-Do you feel like you are a "MacHead"? If you havn't seen the documentary, what is your own personal definition (opinion) of a "MacHead"?

Thank you for taking the time for answering these questions. Your feedback is very helpful to my research.

Greatly Appreciate it,
Kevin

1: First an iPod about seven years ago, Mac's three years now. Run really well, no issues with them.

2: a little bit, but then im like that with everything, its mine, so its personal to me.

3: Only on this forum, not in general. i dont "class" other mac users as in my "group". they are just other people that use macs.

4: productive

5: yes, i thought most of the people in it were idiots, and classing steve jobs as "God" is absolutely insane

6: No, i am not a "Machead." when a product comes out which is actually better than an apple product, i will use that. so far, apple lead in this. I think "macheads" are a far too loyal, and start buying apple just because it is Apple. brand loyalty is silly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
1) My first Apple product was a black 30GB iPod video. I bought it in 2006. I have been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G, and a Mac user since February.

2) Certainly. I would be VERY angry if someone damaged or stole my iPhone, and in the same scenario with my MBP, it would likely come to blows. I spent a lot of money on them and they are very important in my day to day life.

3) Not particularly. I am an extreme tech geek though, and tend to be friendly with other tech geeks, regardless of whether they are an Apple fan or not.

4) Of course! The mac community here in particular has been very helpful to me since I've switched.

5) Superior

6) Haven't seen it.

7) I wouldn't consider myself a machead. I would consider myself to be more of an overall tech junkie. I do love my mac, and will likely stay with apple for most of my computing needs, but I'm not opposed to owning or using non apple products - i.e. I still own a windows computer, and will likely build a windows desktop for gaming purposes in the next month or so.

C

chas_m

Used them since 1985, first made the switch in 1989 (ie bought one with my own money). Actually kept up my Windows skillz for another decade or so before realizing I really didn't want to work in that whole mindset anymore.

How do I feel about them? Until I met my wife they were the most stable and rewarding relationship I'd had -- providing me with a platform for income, for creativity, and for opportunities I would never have had otherwise.

Kind of, yes. As I learn ever-more about them, they surprise and delight me with what they can do, even after years of owning them. The company seems totally dedicated to making great products ever better in service of the people who use them, and they embrace many of the philosophical ideals that I do in my own life. I think of Apple products as an extension of myself, and of Apple as a friend who makes that happen.

Yes. In previous decades this may have been fuelled by the community of the minority -- us against the WinDrones -- but even today Macs help me make new friends through our connection to the technology. It's very similar to the way any two Doctor Who fans will instantly think more of each other once they know they share that connection.

Well I'm program director of our local Mac User Group, teach Mac classes and occasionally do home consulting (in addition to the ridiculous amount of time I spend on various forums, not just this one!), I am most definitely in a community of Mac users!

Rewarding.

My personal definition of a "Machead" is someone who is loaded up on the minutia of Mac hardware and software knowledge, and is eager to share what they know to help others. That social component, the benevolence of wanting to help when you can, is an extremely critical part of it all. Being a Machead is about improving other people's lives, not showing off how smart you are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello Mac-users,

Greatly Appreciate it,
Kevin

Lol this is a new one! I'll play :D

1. 3 years. Beautiful design and OS
2. Yes. 80Km away from any civilization, one get pretty attached to anything that allows one to see what the outside world is like and communicate with it.
3. No
4. Most definitely! I spend lot's of time on here helping people and hanging out with them, so it feels like one big happy family.
5. Überawesome! ;P
6. Nope
7. Someone who tries to learn all he can about Macs, and shares it willingly with other people.

Reaction score
1. First Apple was an Apple IIe - 20 years ago or so. Mac was cost prohibitive until recently. Otherwise, iPod 5 years ago, Mac mini, iPad 1 now.

2. I had a middle school teacher who would take one of the school's Mac SEs home each weekend. She literally would seatbelt the thing in the car. Of course, they cost several thousand dollars then. I don't think she wore a seatbelt, but the Mac did. I do remember a similar attachment to Mac back then. Now, I'm a bit attached as owning a Mac has been a personal goal of mine for quite some time.

3. No. Again, in the distant past, maybe. But not now.

4. No.

5. Fulfilling.

6 & 7. No comment on macheads - didn't see it and sounds cultish.

Reaction score

About a month now. Purchased an upgraded, used BlackBook and love it. I don't... well it depends on the product. I only like the Apple laptops; I'm a college student as well and I couldn't ever see me using a desktop due to the lack of mobility and I don't like iOS because I feel that it's too restricting and bland.

However the operating system and hardware that Apple has on its computers is amazing.

Well I feel this way about all of my main electronics, I am a big nerd after all :) But yes I particularly love the blackbook; I find myself looking at it and just admiring the beauty of the system itself at times.

Not really, they're people just like I and what they use doesn't really affect how I feel about them.

Forums like these seem to be filled with like-minded people, leading to an overall more friendly experience.

Magical? But really though...

Magical :)

Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Since 2007. I like them, a lot.

Yes, I might cry broke my iPod Touch or iMac.

I just feel like we can talk about something that we most likely both like.

Yes, I feel like Apple users (new drug?) form nice social groups, which PC users don’t.

Elegant

Obsessive, but I can see where they’re coming from.

-Do you feel like you are a "MacHead"? If you havn't seen the documentary, what is your own personal definition (opinion) of a "MacHead”?
No, I don’t think I am that obsessive about Apple products. I don’t hate PCs, in fact I quite like them. But Macs are, in my opinion, far superior in every definition.

May I ask what this research is for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
- How long have you owned a mac or apple product(s)?
Around twenty years
How do you feel about them?
I am generally satisfied. I could not see purchasing any other type of computer for my own use.
No.
No.
No.
"Customer."
-Have you ever seen the documentary "MacHeads"?
No.
If you havn't seen the documentary, what is your own personal definition (opinion) of a "MacHead"?
Someone who is way too attached to an item they purchased.

OP
K
Reaction score
May I ask what this research is for?

I have been doing 3 papers (basically one long research-type paper) on Mac-users / the documentary MacHeads. I am just trying to get some feedback. Thanks for your feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
My first Apple product was an 1st generation iPod. Thing was a beast.
Mmm, maybe a little bit. I keep it clean and make sure it is up to shape.
No.
Yes I do, this forum is a great example.
Fantastic.
I have never seen that, I will check it out though.
I don't feel like I am a MacHead because I my self have a PC that I use on a daily basis.

Good luck with your research.

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

I have owned an iPod (20GB) since about the 6th grade, making that 6 or so years ago. I've owned my MacBook since 2006, so that would be about 5 years.

I feel emotionally attached to my MacBook and iPod. Not so much because they are Apple products, but because they have become such a part of my regular and daily life. So, in short, yes.

Not because they are Mac-Users, but because they are my friends.

I am right now, aren't I? I feel that everyone here is supportive in each others adventures in technology (and more specifically, Apple technology) as well as personal lives to some degree. I've been a member of this community under various usernames for a very long time, and I love it.

Enlightening.

I think I've seen it, but it was a little while ago. There are some really dedicated Apple fans!

Nope. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.