File Sharing ?

Reaction score
OK, I have a desktop, a laptop, and an iMac, yeah, sounds like a joke. Anyway, for some reason the 17" MacBook Pro file sharing doesn't work between it and the Mac Pro desktop, but works fine between it and the 20" iMac. The iMac can file share both ways with the other two computers. That is, everything works except moving files from the MacBook Pro to the Mac Pro desktop.

When I connect to the Mac Pro from the iMac and do command 'i' I see, under sharing and permission, 'wilson' (username) and everyone. But, when I do the same from the MacBook Pro, it shows 'root' and 'everyone'. Not sure if that means anything or everything. I am looking for suggestions.

(by the way, I created a new user acct on the MacBook Pro and file sharing works fine on that user acct.)

All three are running 10.6.1

Thanks ..

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to try again ...

Morning All: I have a problem using file sharing between a Mac Pro (desktop) and a 17" MacBook Pro. I can move files to and from the MacBook from the desktop and I can move files from the desktop to the MacBook from the MacBook, but cannot move files to the desktop from the MacBook. I have tried several other Mac computers and none have any problems moving files back and forth to the desktop. Only that MacBook Pro cannot move files to the desktop.

When trying to move a file from the MacBook to the desktop, a message comes up wanting an admin password (this is after already logging into the desktop), I type in the password and another message comes up asking if I want to replace the file "". If I say yes, it moves the file but the moved file has no content (zero K).

I am at my wits end here. Can anybody throw some suggestions my way?

Thanks Much!

PS. I started a dummy acct on the MacBook Pro and it has no problems moving files back and forth to the desktop, so its something to do with that admin user acct (I think).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
If that one works, then change it to admin, move your stuff over, then delete the old! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Way to much stuff in old acct to move (not enough room to copy all). Would prefer a fix instead of work around. But Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.