Get your brains around this one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Alright everyone listen carefully!

I have decided to upgrade to Leopard, a slightly different way.

What I am planning to do is keep the 500 gig hard drive thats inside my iMac as it is, with tiger installed.

I then plan to plug in a 500 gig external drive, to which I would install Leopard.

As I plan to install Windows XP Pro using bootcamp through Leopard, it will also be on the new external drive.

Sooo...

iMac - Current 500 GB internal drive thats already inside

External 500 GB drive - with Leopard and Windows XP Pro installed.

Your thoughts please people!

Does anyone know, if when I turn on my mac it will then give me the option to boot the 3 different OS's?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
Alright everyone listen carefully!

I have decided to upgrade to Leopard, a slightly different way.

What I am planning to do is keep the 500 gig hard drive thats inside my iMac as it is, with tiger installed.

I then plan to plug in a 500 gig external drive, to which I would install Leopard.

As I plan to install Windows XP Pro using bootcamp through Leopard, it will also be on the new external drive.

Sooo...

iMac - Current 500 GB internal drive thats already inside

External 500 GB drive - with Leopard and Windows XP Pro installed.

Your thoughts please people!

Does anyone know, if when I turn on my mac it will then give me the option to boot the 3 different OS's?

Thanks...

Why, are you afraid of Leopard? Doesn't make sense to me....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's going to be a pain to do that. Why not just get rid of Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
So you are saying you want Tiger and Leopard on a seperate HD? And Windows on the hardrive with Tiger? Are there some things that you dislike about Leopard? It would work but like people said above it will be a pain in the behind, why not just use Leopard and have XP on that same drive and have the extra drive for extra space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would recommend the external drive be FireWire at least, preferably FireWire 800. USB 2 will work, but it will probably be a bit sluggish since USB 2 is not all that great in the speed department (Burst vs Sustained).

Otherwise, what you want to do will work. I'm with the ret though. Why?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why, are you afraid of Leopard? Doesn't make sense to me....

Pretty much yes. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it, with things not working on it etc. This way I could just boot up tiger if I needed it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you are saying you want Tiger and Leopard on a seperate HD?

Yes

And Windows on the hardrive with Tiger?

No, on the hard drive with Leopard, using bootcamp.

Are there some things that you dislike about Leopard? It would work but like people said above it will be a pain in the behind, why not just use Leopard and have XP on that same drive and have the extra drive for extra space?

Yeah, just scared to leave Tiger behind, incase Leopard is a total disaster! With 1TB between them, I will have plenty of space I think!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would recommend the external drive be FireWire at least, preferably FireWire 800. USB 2 will work, but it will probably be a bit sluggish since USB 2 is not all that great in the speed department (Burst vs Sustained).

Otherwise, what you want to do will work. I'm with the ret though. Why?

Firewire is great...with machines that have firewire ports. If you buy a firewire hard drive, then aren't you restricting the use of that drive to machines with fire wire ports? Or is there a usb connection on the back of them too? I'l be happy enough with the USB at the moment. I explain why above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
If you are going into this with the intention of primarily using Leopard, but keeping Tiger as a back up just in case, as it seems to me to be what you are saying, I think it would be better to have Leopard on the main (internal) drive because of the speed issue.

Couldn't you use a cloning tool to clone your current Tiger setup to the external, then install Leopard and XP on the internal? Then you would still have your Tiger install to fall back on just in case, but if you found yourself really liking Leopard, you wouldn't have to deal with the slower performance of the external drive.

Also, just because an external drive is FireWire does not mean that it can't be USB also - many FireWire drives also include USB. A quick search shows the Buffalo HD-HC500IU2 As a 500 GB external with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 for $119 from TigerDirect, though I cannot vouch for the quality of the product.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are going into this with the intention of primarily using Leopard, but keeping Tiger as a back up just in case, as it seems to me to be what you are saying, I think it would be better to have Leopard on the main (internal) drive because of the speed issue.

Couldn't you use a cloning tool to clone your current Tiger setup to the external, then install Leopard and XP on the internal? Then you would still have your Tiger install to fall back on just in case, but if you found yourself really liking Leopard, you wouldn't have to deal with the slower performance of the external drive.

Also, just because an external drive is FireWire does not mean that it can't be USB also - many FireWire drives also include USB. A quick search shows the Buffalo HD-HC500IU2 As a 500 GB external with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 for $119 from TigerDirect, though I cannot vouch for the quality of the product.

Hey there,

Thanks for this...a lot of good stuff in there. Very valid points. Has def' got me thinking!

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I haven't had any real issues with Leopard, but then again I haven't had any real issues with Vista either, so what do I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.