Does the following Apps work on OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
Im planning on getting a Mac soon but just needed few questions to be answered.

Will the following Windows Applications work on Mac OS X Tiger? If not, is there a replacement for them?

-Limewire.
-Bit Torrent Application (eg. uTorrent).
-Dance Ejay 6 and/or 7.
-Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 (Note: I have the CD for Windows, will the same one work on Mac?)
-VLC Media Player (Although I dont care much about this)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
-Limewire. - yes

-Bit Torrent Application (eg. uTorrent). - yes

-Dance Ejay 6 and/or 7. - no. You will be getting GarageBand if you order your computer from Apple

-Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005 (Note: I have the CD for Windows, will the same one work on Mac?) - no and tehre is no replacement

-VLC Media Player (Although I dont care much about this) - yes

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. So will all the above applications work on the Windows running on the Mac Bootcampt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks for the reply. So will all the above applications work on the Windows running on the Mac Bootcampt?
If they are Windows programs, and you install Windows, then they will work.
And just to clarify, all of the "yes" answers in my previous reply have a Mac version of their software that you would have to download and install.

Mac needs Mac software, Windows needs Windows software. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes. Windows via Boot Camp is exactly like running Windows on any other computer.

You might want to take a look at Parallels though, especially since you're only requirement is Visual Studio and it should run just peachy in Parallels.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info guys. Im planning on getting the Macbook 2.0 which has 1 GB RAM.

I'll take a look at the parallel although I think Windows on bootcamp would function better since you dont need to allocate any RAM into that, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Boot Camp and Parallels work differently. Boot Camp essentially allows you to install Windows on your Mac just as you would on any other PC. Parallels lets you run Windows side by side with Mac OS X.

So Boot Camp uses your entire computer just like it would on any other computer. With Parallels, it has to share resources with OS X.

What Parallels has over Boot Camp is that you have to restart your computer if you want to use Windows under Boot Camp whereas with Parallels you can have Windows programs running right next to your Mac programs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are parallels free like bootcamp? And I take it the performance of the Windows Applications be affected when less RAM is given to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
on my computer, i could'nt get limewire to work. so if the same happens to you, use the program called "Poisoned" it is the same thing basically

Reaction score
on my computer, i could'nt get limewire to work. so if the same happens to you, use the program called "Poisoned" it is the same thing basically

Go to download.com and search limewire for mac osx and you will find one for mac.

Reaction score
Are parallels free like bootcamp? And I take it the performance of the Windows Applications be affected when less RAM is given to it.

No, Parallels is not free, it costs $79 and it's well worth it. At this time Parallels doesn't yet run most 3d games so if your a gamer you will have to stick with Boot Camp. Just remember that once Lepord comes out that the beta of boot camp will quit working and you will probably have to buy Lepord to get it going again. Of course it would be worth it too, but i like the ability to not have to reboot and run both at once with Parallels.

As for winders apps running less on a Mac, that is not true, as a matter of fact the windows apps i run under Parallels actually run better than they do on my pc. With 1 gig of ram you should find no problems unless you get into some heavy multitasking, then you would probably need to increase to 2 gig of ram, just like you would on a pc machine.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What exactly do you mean bootcampt will stop working once Leopard is released? Are you saying that if Im a current Tiger user runnning XP or Vista on bootcampt, it would all of the sudden just stop working?

Reaction score
Basically BootCamp is going to be shipped out with Leopard what has yet to be seen, is If when Leopard is released, the current bootcamp (beta) will still work or not.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.