Buffalo HDD crashing disk utility

Reaction score
I have a 500gb Bufffalo HDD which I partitioned with 10 partitions, it froze halfway through and stopped so only 2 of the partitions are complete although they don't mount now. I want to wipe the hdd and start again but using disk utility the hard drive makes disk utility freeze when trying to erase the whole drive.

Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to remove the two partitions you created before attempting to erase the drive. Select the partition tab in Disk Utility, highlight the partition to be removed, and press the small minus button at the bottom and then press apply. Do the same thing with the second partition and any others you created. Once all the partitions have been removed, you can erase the drive.

Why in the world do you need 10 partitions on a 500 GB drive anyway?

OP
N
Reaction score
Whenever I click the 'partitions' tab on disk utility it freezes and won't change..

Also I am using it with my Nexus 7, and the drive was crashing whenever I opened it with 1 partition due to it being too large I think. So I split it up, although now I think 10 may have been too many... Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the Buffalo drive might be defective. Is it still under warranty? You may be able to get an RMA on it by calling or send email to the manufacturer. If the drive is freezing when trying to access it from Disk Utility, there's a problem with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.