Battery longevity--better to charge frequently in small doses?

Reaction score
In the past it's been recommended to let rechargeable batteries drain fully or close to fully before recharging to help the battery's lifespan. Other times, it was said to charge frequently in small doses.

Anyone know what, if either, might be the case for the iPad?

C

chas_m

In my own experience, it seems to be a good idea to fully drain, then fully charge the battery on first cycle. After that, you can do pretty much whatever you want, with perhaps the occasional "recalibration" as Apple suggests (they suggest it monthly, I suggest it yearly).

I have an almost three-year-old Blackbook that stays on the mains 90% of the time. I almost NEVER run the battery down to zero, indeed its rarely on battery at all. It's still giving me more than three hours of real-world "normal" use on battery.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my 2.5 year old iPhone behaves the same way, as does my wife's five year old iBook G4. Coincidence? I don't think so.

OP
R
Reaction score
Lately, I've had my iPad continually connected to my iMac via usb in the dock. Might that be bad--is it not continually being charged?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.