help please

Reaction score
not even sure what happened that i did this but,

i was trying to drag and drop a file i moved the file over the red "x" that closes a finder and the icon blew up in a puff of smoke, made a noise and now i can not find it. what happened?

newbie here and am loving my new mbp, but a couple things have thrown me for a loop. thanks in advance to any insight

-cb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. When u drag an icon out of the dock, when it is released it disappears in a Puff of Smoke. The file has not disappeared just the Alias that was in the Dock. Use spotlight - top right icon in menubar - and type in name of missing file to locate it in its folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks, anything that i could do if i dont remember what i had. i was just kinda of messing around using the track pad and getting comfortable using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, if you had not made any changes to the Dock, on purpose that is, then yes. Find this file:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Drag that to your Desktop.
Restart. This will make a new default plist file.
All the icons, and only the icons that were present when the computer shipped will now appear in the Dock.
If you don't like what you see, you can restore what you had, minus the one you poofed, by putting that file back in Preferences, overwriting the default file just created.

P.S. If you have other questions, please post them with a more descriptive title. Imagine if everyone used "Help Please" as a title...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.