Apple n00b - Power supply and external HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 3.06 GHz 4GB
Hi all,

Just moved to the UK with my newly bought iMac from Costa Rica (same ones as in the US).

Have two issues:

1) Can't find an Apple power supply cable anywhere. Used a regular generic one but it doesn't fit, it's too loose and so it regularly falls off.

2) Had all my old music, pics and docs from my old PC back home saved on an external hard drive which, even after installing the driver twice, does not appear.

Any help will be appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't help you with the power issue (someone with travel experience will have to help you with that one). As for the HD, how was it formatted? My guess is that it was formatted with either FAT32 or NTFS, both of which are supported in some fashion in OS X (FAT32 is fully supported while there is read support for NTFS).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just go into any PC shop near you and ask for a main power cord. They are all the same. Just check the type of plug required for the machine end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
For the second issue try using macFuse/ NTFS 3G it will give OSX read/write abilitys to NTFS formats.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
2) Had all my old music, pics and docs from my old PC back home saved on an external hard drive which, even after installing the driver twice, does not appear.

Are you saying that the external hard drive does not mount at all? Go to Utilities, Disk Utility. Can you "see" the external hard drive?

Even if the drive is formatted to NTFS, you should be able to "see" it. If you have a new iMac it probably came pre-loaded with Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard has the ability to read and write to NTFS, however, it's not turned on by default. You can download and install the free "ntfsMounter.app" which will turn it on for you.

Regards.

OP
tharos13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just go into any PC shop near you and ask for a main power cord. They are all the same. Just check the type of plug required for the machine end.

I've done that already (snatched one from the IT crew here at the office) but since the end that goes into the Mac doesn't have the round part, it fits in too loosely and can fall of a bit if the screen is moved in any direction...

Thanks for all the help guys!

It's not Snow Leopard new, got it just before SL was released. When I get home I'll go check out that Utilities bit.

Just as a footnote, I'd like to share my first experience at the big Regent Street Apple Store:

I walked in and asked for a power cable and the guy that was helping me out said "What machine is it for?" I reply "My iMac" to which he says: "Well you have to remember that iMacs are not made for traveling so unless you have a voltage converter you can practically fry your iMac"... "what? I was told back in the store I bought it from that all I needed was to change the chords... I also read in a couple of Mac forums that it was OK..." "Well.. You shouldn't believe everything you read in forums".

I still can't believe I got this from an actual Apple Store staff

:Not-Amused:

OP
tharos13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying that the external hard drive does not mount at all? Go to Utilities, Disk Utility. Can you "see" the external hard drive?

Even if the drive is formatted to NTFS, you should be able to "see" it. If you have a new iMac it probably came pre-loaded with Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard has the ability to read and write to NTFS, however, it's not turned on by default. You can download and install the free "ntfsMounter.app" which will turn it on for you.

Regards.

Correct, I can't SEE the external HD at all, even from the Disk Utility window. Since I don't have Snow Leopard, it may very well be that this particular HD will be a no no for me. Think I'll have to ask the IT dudes for a favour and get all my stuff out into a few DVDs.

Thanks a lot for the info though, much appreciated.

No love for an Apple power supply chord?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've done that already (snatched one from the IT crew here at the office) but since the end that goes into the Mac doesn't have the round part, it fits in too loosely

Assuming you brought with you the original power cord that came with your iMac, ie. the one with the "round part", have you considered simply buying a power plug adaptor for the other end?

If it were me, I'd cut off the Costa Rica/US plug end, strip back the plastic shielding and rewire into a UK power plug. Do you know your power cable colors for phase, neutral and earth?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.