Text Cut Off Problem in Finder

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been experiencing a frustrating cutoff problem in Finder:

2d1ka5v.jpg

49hw1np.jpg

The text below the icon gets cutoff!! I've primarily noticed this in subfolders of the Applications folder. But I haven't been spending as much time elsewhere.

This is off of my MBP running 10.4.8 that I just got... No updates available that I've found.

Any thoughts/ideas suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Hiro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Have you installed any interface tweak apps?

Create a second user and login as that user. See if the problem follows the user. If not it's a preference issue.
start by deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

If the problem does follow the user try booting holding shift. This puts the Mac in Safe Boot mode. It will rule out a third party service.

Try those

Reaction score
Have you changed the font size or icon size in "Show View Options" for those windows (or globally)?

Also, you appear to be running non-standard icons. Possibly there is a problem with them? Can you try changing a few of those folders' icons back to standard system icons and see whether the clipping still occurs?

OP
H
Reaction score
MacsWork: I did what you suggested and created a guest account. I logged into it and still had the problem. I also rebooted into SafeBoot Mode and had the exact same problem. The screenshot below is from safemode on the guest account.

ToddG: I'm not sure what Non-Standard icons I'm running? What do you notice? Wouldn't creating a guest account demonstrate this isn't the cause (View Options)?

Here is another screenshot from a Guest account just showing the root. Notice that the Applications icon has only half of the highlighting around the text:
2z3t9wh.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I demoed PathFinder (and hence was putting off figuring this out) but it still isn't what I'd consider a good full replacement for finder, and thus I'm now dealing with this Finder Bug...

Cheers,

-Hiro

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Hiro! enjoy your stay!

Did you uninstall Pathfinder? If so, make sure there aren't any bits left somewhere. You might have to trash your Finder pref file.

The path to this file:

Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> Your user account ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.finder.plist

Put that com.apple.finder.plist file in your trash (don't empty it just yet), restart and see if the problem still persists or not. Report back to us about your findings. :girl:

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi MacHeadCase, Thanks for the info. I have uninstalled Pathfinder with TinkerTool System and I just removed the com.apple.finder.plist as you suggested. Upon first glance through, everything looked great (Mac HD, Utilities, etc..) and I thought it solved the problem. I then went to the Typography directory as shown above and nothing changed. Then I go back out and look more, same deal. Then I went back to the Mac HD and it was the same as shown in the previous image.

Now. an interesting thing about most of the pages, if I leave and come back to a directory after seeing it display weird, it will become fine again. Until I move the selection around at which point it goes into the half-selection mode.

I've been trying to be rather tight about keep the system lean and mean... This is confusing.

Any more ideas?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok next thing I would try is create a new user account to see if the problem persists there as well.

If it doesn't, it means there is something in your usual user account that is causing the mayhem.

This could be also caused by the system not being awake to perform its daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks. In the long run, quirky behaviour like this can happen.

You can also empty the various caches. Upon restart, your MBP will be noticeably slower to boot than normal but that is to be expected as the system is rebuilding its cache from scratch.

MainMenu is a nice little utility that can do this for you.

Once installed and launched, this is where you will find how to clean out the user cache, font cache and system cache. See the attached screenshot below. Restart once all three tasks have been run.

Let us know if this worked for you. Good luck! :girl:

Edited to add:

Doh! Forgot to add the screenshot!!!

MainMenu_cleaning.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
MacHeadCase: Yes. Two messages ago on this thread I noted that I created a separate user and took the screenshot from that user. Same problems noticed. I'm using TinkerToolSystem now to clean up more caches and maintenance stuff.. I'll see how that does.. Downloaded MainMenu.. I guess I'll give it a try also...

OP
H
Reaction score
Solution

So I managed to fix the problem somewhat unexpectedly by doing all of the following:

* Uninstalling Pathfinder completely
* Removing com.apple.finder.plish
* Changing the View Options of the root and a few various folders to behave like "All Windows" and restore the settings to default. (I think this is what really did it)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reaction score
Glad it worked out, Hiro. A surprising solution beats an expected catastrophe any day of the week. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.