How to Move the Desktop

Reaction score
You will think this is crazy. I configured a mac pro for my client. I swapped out the hard drive and replaced it with an 80GB SSD drive for the starup disc and then added 2 more 500GB hard drives and a hard drive just for a swap disc.

The problem is my client likes to put everything on the desktop, so the startup disc is full. I suggested that the files should be moved to one of the other drives but my client has no time to organize the files and just wants me to make the startup drisc bigger and I cannot do that.

Is there a way to move everything from the desktop to another drive and still have the desktop appear exactly the same? Of course everything added afterward would also have to go to the new location. Possible?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yes there is. Open the Accounts tab in System Preferences.
Select his account in the column on the left. Right-click and select Advanced Options.

You will already want to have copied his home folder to the new drive. Then on the Home Directory line, put in the path to the new home folder location, or click choose, and select the new folder.

Then click OK, and restart to make sure everything is working properly. I'd recommend make a test file in Text Edit or something and make sure it saves in the new location and not the old Home folder location. Once everything checks out OK, you can delete the original home folder and free up some space.

I'd recommend doing a backup first before doing this, just incase something goes wrong.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey- I think that's going to work!!! You're a genius. On this machine the user is also the admin- is this a problem? That particular folder has a "house " icon. If it's better I could switch admin to another user. Is that better?

The right click threw me as this mac mouse has no right button- what mouse are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Pretty much any USB or Bluetooth mouse will work. If he's got the Mighty Mouse (scroll ball on top) you can enable right clicking in the Mouse System Preference. It doesn't look like it has a physical button, but the touch sensor in the mouse can register left or right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Being the admin user won't make a difference. The folder with the house icon is the home folder, and its the one you'll want to copy to the new location.

You can also hold down the Control key and click to get a right-click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.