VLC for iOS is now in the App Store . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I woke this morning and went through my twitter feed and saw with delight that VLC is now on the App Store.
Its a universal Download, so i downloaded it, transferred a .avi and .mkv file over and WOW i couldn't believe it, they played :)
Now we don't have to have .m4p or .m4v files to watch what we want.
Just though i give you all a heads up :)

1 good thing is there is now DropBox integration so keeping those movies in the Cloud and use them whenever you want. Works very well :)

VLC For iOS Is Available To Download Now | Cult of Mac

C

chas_m

Be aware that due to licensing restrictions, video files that use AC3 sound probably won't play the audio. You can easily convert the file to change the audio to MP3 or something and it will work fine, but having to convert the video defeats the purpose of VLC (et al), might as well just convert it to iPad/iTunes format (which of course can play AAC audio).

EDIT: I'm stupid, I wrote AAC when I meant AC3. I apologise for the confusion I undoubtedly caused.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And not available in the U.S. store as of this moment. I still have the original version though.

edit:
tried it 4 more times and it finally popped up in the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is exceedingly bizarre. I could only get audio playing in VLC for a DVD rip with mono audio, single track downmixed to AAC. Another DVD rip with original stereo AC3 track; AAC downmix; and 3rd downmixed commentary track would play no audio at all. Not any of the tracks. In fact, in the track selection box, it defaulted to "no audio". Ditto for a BD rip with AAC track and 5.1 AC3 track. These are all my personal copies from my own media... no DRM. ***?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.