• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need to import video via iMovie and play iTunes simultaneously...

S

schaeftpin

Yo there, Mac forum! I'm a new Mac user and am pretty dang psyched to be posting my first question. I love my new PowerBook. woo!

So I'm in an improv comedy troupe and I use the PowerBook to play music and sound effects during our shows. I also video tape every show for us to watch at a later date to assess our performance (like football coaches do). I would like to stream the video directly to my Mac, so at the end of the show I'll have a digital version of the show nullifying the need to perform the intermediate step of digitizing it from the cam sometime later.

Now, using iTunes to play music during the show is simple. Also, using iMovie to copy video from the DV out of my cam to the hard drive is also simple as cake. The TRICKY part is doing both at exactly the same time as they both send audio signal to the minijack output (or speakers). That causes not only the iTunes music and/or sound effects to be played back thru to the stage, but also any sound that the camera picks up will also playback--which as any of you sound people out there know, causes some funky feedback and resonant effects since the cam is also picking up the iTunes tunes and sounds. Phew.

SOOO, does anyone know how I can can capture live video to my harddrive (to a file or movie project) where it does NOT send audio to the notebook speakers or minijack out so that I can utilize iTunes to be playing the music for the show while the video (with it's audio) is streaming into the mac "behind the scenes" in the background?

A lifetime of free tickets to our shows if you help me solve this!

Cheers,
Tom J Schaeffer
The Originals Improv Comedy Troupe
Phoenix, AZ
www.theoriginalsimprov.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.