AirPort Express as a Reciever?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
I'm a newer Mac user and so far I've been very happy. The more I get into reading about the various Apple hardware items the more I get interested in adding some.

In particular I've read about the Apple AirPort Express. The ability to use it too hook up to my home stereo is the key feature I'd like to have. Currently my Linksys WRT54GX handles our household networking (Mac, TiVo, 2 XP, 1 Vista) just fine. The Mac is the only one that could use the N standard.

The problem is that my LAN cable is upstairs plugged into the Linksys, and I have no desire to run a cable downstairs for the AirPort. So, my question is can the AirPort be setup as a reciever to use the existing wireless network and allow me to plug into the stereo or am I asking to much for how its designed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
If its only going to the stereo it can be linked just to the computer you'll also be able to print to it. Not sure if you will be able to use it to extend your network from the linksys though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm a newer Mac user and so far I've been very happy. The more I get into reading about the various Apple hardware items the more I get interested in adding some.

In particular I've read about the Apple AirPort Express. The ability to use it too hook up to my home stereo is the key feature I'd like to have. Currently my Linksys WRT54GX handles our household networking (Mac, TiVo, 2 XP, 1 Vista) just fine. The Mac is the only one that could use the N standard.

The problem is that my LAN cable is upstairs plugged into the Linksys, and I have no desire to run a cable downstairs for the AirPort. So, my question is can the AirPort be setup as a reciever to use the existing wireless network and allow me to plug into the stereo or am I asking to much for how its designed?

It sounds like what you want to do is set up the Airport Express to serve as a wireless relay to extend the signal from your Linksys. I thought it only worked in that function with the Airport Extreme base station, but Apple's page implies differently so you should be good to go! I use an Express with my Extreme network myself like how you want to with the Express connected to the stereo and it works most awesomely!

OP
y-guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Thanks for the feedback. After digging more I found this note at the bottom of the page "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network." So to do what I want I'd first need an Extreme, which may happen but not right now. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
You don't need an AirPort Extreme simply to use the AirTunes function, it's only if you want to use the AirPort Express to extend the actual WiFi network.

HTH :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.