g4 hinge made cracking sound and screen is limp

Reaction score
Today when I closed by 12" ibook g4 I heard a "crack" sound come from the hinge. Now it closes very easily and if I set the screen at an angle it falls and closes by itself. Should I be concerned? Is my ibook set to die? :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
Sounds like a cracked hinge, which can be a pain to repair. 1st thing to do, hold the iBook with both hands, place your thumbs on the bottom bezel and press firmly. If the entire screen pulls out then you know it's the hinge. So there's a couple things to do after that. Either go to ifixit.com and download the guide to fix the hinge, or take it to a apple repair company. Where are you located? Maybe I can help?

OP
P
Reaction score
the screen isn't coming off. it's not wobbly or anything just limp if i set it at an angle. there isn't an apple store near me that i know of (central north carolina). the latch that keeps it close won't automatically open like before. it does every now and then, otherwise i have to tap at it until it falls down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I would try to find a company that repairs Apple computers close to you. Look in the phone book, internet, ask a friend. Powerbookguy.com is a respectable online company that does repairs. Hope you get it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.